words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, December 14, 2011

concepts to ponder for the day: confrontation and grace

My post yesterday was actually the beginning of a series of posts that have been brewing in my mind for some time now, having to do with the fact that I am suddenly finding myself in an awkward confrontational position in so many areas of my life.  Like all of a sudden I am being required to think and write to other people about various perceived injustices and wrongdoings and make firm but loving defense of myself. . . .  Why is there seeming to be a pattern to it?  What do you want me to get from this, God?

I know this series can be coming off as self-righteous hubris of the worst kind--how full of myself do I have to be to actually cut and paste in my blog the things I am saying to other people, as if you should care, as if I am just so clever, as if I think I am all that? So it is awkward too, that I feel compelled to keep sharing and writing about this topic, knowing that I might be looking really bad right now (for the perceived ego-trip, for how you may think I am bungling all of these pieces of correspondence). I am going to keep doing it, because I feel like I am on the cusp of something that God wants me to know, some idea that is Important, that I won't understand without living through these two weeks and having all these various uncomfortable interpersonal interactions.

So, please bear with me, don't read anything you don't want to read, and please offer whatever advice you want!

I never would have anticipated the chain reaction that would begin yesterday from my commonplace action of leaving feedback on eBay.  So today, I never would have expected to be dealing with a new unhappy, offended stranger after emailing a local homeschool yahoo-group to invite whomever would like to come to our Vintage Homeschool Moms' Christmas Party.  (You can read about the fun we are planning if you click on the link--wish some of you far away homeschool moms were closer!)  I don't invite the area-wide secular homeschool community to all of our events, just the ones that seem extra fun and something you might take your kids to even if you didn't know anyone.  But a Christmas party and cookie exchange for homeschool kids?  Lots of non-church-going families might think that sounded fun. 
A few hours after I posted the invite, I received the following email back, from someone in the group whom I don't know:
I was wanting to find out more about the Vintage Faith Church a while back when some friends were talking about the Abbey coffeehouse the church runs, and was very disappointed to find out --from the web site and from reviews of a book by the pastor -- thatthey are anti-gay. Would "All families are welcome" really apply to all the local two-mom homeschooling families and LGBT homeschooling teens I know?
In general Santa Cruz has a lot of LGBT-inclusive and welcoming churches and other houses of worship -- just for one small example, it is my experience as a person who has danced in both the Downtown Santa Cruz Holiday Parade and the Santa Cruz Pride Parade that the latter has a lot more churches in it -- so yes, it was an unpleasant surprise that a church that seems to want to make a big deal of having a hip coffeehouse would not be included in that number.
I hope we will all remember that homeschooling families are a diverse group.

This mom had responded to the entire yahoo group, which meant that my response would not only be to her, but to the entire community. 

Yay!

(Yes, that was definitely sarcastic, voiced with a hint of terror and a teeny tiny urge to stick my head in some sand.)

It is a good thing, actually, that I have been getting so much practice these days with careful wording, separating emotion from reason, and paring down problems into simple statements that don't go into the whole underlying wad of feelings but just address the heart of the matter.  *Please do not read conceit into that statement--I did not say I have been writing everything perfectly and saying all the right things in all the right ways, just that I have been getting a lot of practice at trying!* ; )   I am just doing the best I can, always with the intent of clearing up misconceptions, handling the other person with respect and even care, but also trying to stand firm for who I am and what I think is right and good.

So, there were so many ways I thought about going in my response, trying to figure out what best would honestly address this mom's concerns and affront, but also not backing down on the genuine invitation, and ended up with this:
Hi T---,
Thanks for your honest and sincere email response to my invite.  The Vintage Homeschool Moms group is just that--a bunch of moms who enjoy getting together to have fun and encourage one another in our homeschooling and parenting.  The Christmas party is not a church-sponsored event, but we routinely use the Vintage Faith Church classrooms for our gatherings, since they have such great facilities (like a bathroom in the classroom, the gym for the kids to run around in, etc.).  We call ourselves "Vintage Homeschool Moms" just because most of us happen to be, but we have families from other churches join us, and have welcomed Jewish, agnostic, and atheist parents as well.  I am the organizer for most of the gatherings we have, and I love to invite new people--you never know who might really want to get their kids out of the house for a fun, casual event with other homeschool kids, or what mom might be struggling and need a few kind words. : )
So, we do not claim to represent the overall Vintage Faith Church, and I am sure all of us moms in the group have different opinions about all aspects of life, just like all of us here on the homeschool group forum do.  I can't speak for any of the other moms (or dads, who are welcome and sometimes come too!), but I personally welcome any homeschool family who feels comfortable with us.  What I can speak for the other moms about is that yes, most of us are trying to live as followers of Jesus Christ, and believe each and every person is a unique, valuable creation worthy of love and respect. 
You are right that this will not be an all-inclusive gathering, in the sense that we will be celebrating "Christmas" and not "the Holidays" and God might very well come up in the conversation as moms chat.  ; )  I posted the invite with the assumption that anyone who wants to avoid such things would simply disregard it.  But it will not be a religious gathering in nature (i.e. other than the fact that Christmas is what it is, we are not out to convert you), and so I invite anyone who is comfortable with such a dynamic to please feel free to join us.

The thing I am struggling with most in such correspondence--like with the eBay seller yesterday--is how to be firm and polite without sounding testy.  In this case I wanted to sound friendly and even warm, but yet be reasonable and unapologetic for sending the invitation.  It is an event suitable to any homeschool family in the area, and so I should be welcome to use the homeschool forum to invite the homeschool community. 

And yet, it seems like such a strange thing to have another correspondence in such a similar vein to the one yesterday.  It's like suddenly all these things are happening in which someone is saying to me "You're wrong and even offensive" and I have to respond back with as much grace and reason as I can muster.  (And you have not heard the half of it! I'll write more tomorrow, hopefully, so you can understand just how unusual the timing of all this is.)  I am SO THANKFUL that suddenly I have my brain working (funny how adrenaline is so helpful in this regard) so I can address all these issues as they are popping up, all in the same two-week span.  But it really does seem like there is some overall understanding I am supposed to get from these little mini-lessons on confrontation and grace.

The thing I am thinking today, is that all these cases happening involve someone telling me I am wrong.  Wrong to leave negative feedback, wrong to seem to support an Anti-gay church.  And it all boils down to perspective, and how to respond back to others with nothing but good stuff even when it sure feels like they aren't thinking good stuff about me in return.  Ah, and you see, there is that me again--and that idea of being upset at someone telling me I am wrong.  That hint that maybe I need to become ok with being thought of as wrong--or I will never be right.  Maybe only when I lose that fear and can respond with full, uncalculated, all-embracing Grace--i.e. when I allow Christ to move through me unhindered--will I be an effective tool of God. 

Or maybe it's the idea of giving up the "right" to be right.  Because I am finding more and more that I can claim fewer and fewer "rights" when I look at my life and relationships through the Scripture.  Defending my "rights" keeps my focus and my standing on me--and the more I let go of those, giving them over to God and trusting that He will defend me, He will provide for me, He is my Champion, the more at peace I am, and the more at home in Christ I am.

I hope that mom does not come with her family to our party, unless she is ready to accept us as much as she wants us to accept her.  But I do hope that us Christian homeschool moms (wherever we are!) would make welcome any family who we encounter--that we can love them without fear, from the fullness of Christ's love for them.  As the Bible says, "We love others because He first loved us." And I do hope that I meet this mom someday face to face, so I can do with a warm smile and sincere words of greeting whatever I could not do within the limitations of such a public exchange. 

Two moms, two days, two email exchanges in two entirely different situtions. 

Same prayer--Lord, please show me how to love others, esp. moms, in all I say and do.

(I guess if I keep praying that, He'll keep giving me more opportunities to practice! ; ) 

 










8 comments:

  1. I do care. I do think you're clever. And I do think you're all that ;)

    I think you handled this very well and I hope that the mom chooses to join your group and get to know you. I don't know anything about your church beliefs, but I feel like I've gotten to know you over the past few years and if your church is anything like you, I believe it is a very loving place that would make anyone feel welcome. I hope to be able to visit you someday and attend a service with you :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, STOP. You are feeding my hubris! ; )

    You are right, though, our church body is very unique, and while it is very Biblically conservative (the "Vintage" part refers to adhering to the time-honored tenets of the faith), it is very people-loving, and we get ALL sorts in the services, including gay and lesbian people. The church would not allow people living such an open lifestyle to serve as part of the church, but would not hinder the person worshipping and learning and growing as part of the overall body.

    I would love to worship with you, sister!!!

    And I have decided to share the whole discussion over at the homeschool blog, so that the Vintage Moms are in the loop and can be considering their own personal response to this issue. I was at church tonight and spoke with two, and they were both completely open to a lesbian family coming to the party, as long as they were ok with tolerating us in return. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough issue and I'm not sure where I stand on it.

    Part of me understands why a church doesn't want an openly gay person serving, in the same way they wouldn't want anyone else who is openly sinning representing their church (if it is that they see homosexuality as a sin). Another part of me thinks that churches could be limiting themselves by not allowing homosexuals to serve. My MIL is a lesbian and is a fine Christian woman. She is one of the first people I turn to (after DH) when I need help sorting out issues and I truly value her advice and Biblical knowledge.

    I have a feeling my church has the same policy, I've just never seen it expressed anywhere. I imagine that living in California you deal with this issue more often than we do. We don't have a large, openly gay community in rural Ohio. My MIL is able to and has been invited to serve in many ways at our church, but I'm not sure that my church family is even aware of her lesbianism. I hope it never becomes an issue for her, because it would break her heart, I think :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you have such a MIL who you can turn too like that! I think God works through all sorts of people, and there is no reason why He would not choose to bless you (and that church) through your MIL. One of the church leaders I spoke with last night was the one who mentioned that we have gays and lesbians attending our church, but would not be allowed to serve, but I think she was meaning those who were living openly as gay and lesbian. I don't think they would presume to judge the inner God-process of anyone, but would need to protect the "weaker brothers and sisters" from that stumbling block. That's just my take on it.

    I am actually really proud of my church for taking the more conservative stance on this issue, because they LOVE people, but believe this is God's truth, and so the pressure from our UBER-liberal, mostly un-churched greater community to conform to the "cool" and "PC" "pro-gay" stance must be great, but they are not willing to cave just so people are not offended. Instead, they welcome real dialogue with others, and our most visible pastor is the gentlest, most sensitive man, and after he talks with the gay and lesbian people who contact the church to find out its stance, most of them decide they can disgree but are not angry. It's all about the heart of the people, the heart of the pastors, the heart of the church body as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it never becomes an issue for your MIL either. : (

    (And just in case anyone is interested, we have wonderful lesian neighbors who we have an excellent relationship with, using their winter cabin up in God Rush country, watching each other's houses when on vacation, etc. Lovely women, whom I am so glad to know. DH's best friend from h.s. is gay, married, and has two kids. One of my favorite people in the world is a gay man in the UK, whom I have been friends with since college, and who most recently called me to wish me happy birthday. I have no problem whatsoever befriending and loving gays and lesbians, and firmly believe Jesus would hang out with them if He were walking the earth today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with what you're saying.

    Just out of curiosity, does your church have similar policies about cohabitating, non-married couples or divorced people serving? Some churches are more strict than others.

    And I can imagine that the pressure to conform would be very strong in your area. The strength of conviction is admirable on the part of your church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you mentioned giving up rights, it brought to mind a prayer I've been praying through (attempting to do so daily) to yield my rights. Here's a link to it - http://tdharmon.com/yieldingrights

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to miss following up on these last comments, ladies!

    I dont know about the co-habitating--I have a feeling if they knew about it, they would say something, but not sure they would not allow them to serve. Divorced people are definitely allowed to serve. (ok, at least I have not heard that one, but know lots of divorcees in our church. I don't think our church is one that sees a lot of divorces, but instead is where people who are still hurting from divorce feel safe to come and worship and heal.)

    Dawn, thank you so much for that link! I am so glad to know someone out there is thinking through similar things.

    ReplyDelete