words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"my" new bathroom floor


Yes, pennies.  This pic is from the floor of the new restaurant at New York's Standard Hotel.  Beautiful!

And I even have online tutorials to show me how to do it myself!

Before anyone asks, from what I understand this is not illegal.  And it works out to cost about $2 a square foot, WAY cheaper--and way cooler--than any tile we could use!

I want to pair it with stained wood wainscotting.  DH likes the floor, but also wants to tile the walls. I say if you tile the walls you have to tile the floor too.  So, we shall see what we end up with!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it. I've seen something like this done with old glass bottle tops and started saving mine so I could do it in my future dream house one day, but I like this idea MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh, I am really intrigued with the glass bottle top idea--but I can't picture it! If you see this comment, would you please leave a link if you have one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that black tile would look OK with the floor. Would he want to tile the walls all the way to the ceiling? That might make a difference. The floor is interesting. Why does he want to tile the walls? But it might be hard to find a black tile that would look good with the soapstone sink. I think that is what you are wanting isn't it or am I confused with the kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, you are right that black tile could look nice--I'm picturing a glossy subway tile--but our soapstone is not black, but blue-gray. It is only more black when you oil it, and I refuse to treat WALLS in a bathroom. So, the soapstone there would stay gray. That is why I don't think it will look good against the floor. Now, we are going to use the soapstone for the counter and sink and backsplash, but that is a smaller area, which I can oil if I want easily, and in my plan it would be visually far enough away from the floor to not conflict. I think a beautiful reddish stain like what we have throughout the hosue would look very nice next to the floor. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if you will go back and check this,but I thought I would reply. I didn't realize he was thinking of using the soapstone for the tile. I don't think it would look good unless it was a black black.

    ReplyDelete