words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It's (ok, was) my 2nd bloggiversary! Who's up for a game? (UPDATED)

I realized just yesterday that my blogger anniversary was around now--looks like it was on the 21st of Jan.  Whoops!  How time flies!

So, thank you all for sharing in this online adventure.  I have really enjoyed the outlet for creative expression, and, this past year, for indulging my aesthetic sensibilities with visual feasts of etsy beauty.  ; ) Writing helps me work through things, and I pray some of what I write is helpful in the hearts and minds of some of my readers.  I love being part of a virtual village--thank you, fellow villagers, for sharing it with me!

And, even though I never think of this as any kind of food blog, some of my favorite posts have been about the crazy dinners I make from whatever I can scrounge up in the kitchen.  I seriously never thought of myself as a cook, until I honed my kitchen gleaning skills these past two years and started blogging about it.  Partly from your comments, I have realized this is not just a regular thing that everybody does, and it has seriously made me feel so much better about my cooking skills.  So thank you for the fun and encouraging comments!  I am enjoying cooking now more than I ever have, and am approaching dinners with more confidence and enthusiasm.  I give you all half of the credit for that!

So I was saying to my dear Becky just yesterday that in honor of my bloggiversary this year I thought it would be fun to see if anyone wants to play a virtual game, where I will "create" a dinner for you out of what is in your fridge!  Becky was sweetly enthusiastic and told me there was a lady who regularly does this, in a spot called "Stump the Cook" on her public radio cooking show.  Well, if thousands (hundreds? ; ) of public radio fans enjoy it, maybe some of you will too!

So, who wants to play?  (And who can come up with a catchy name for the game?  It's not leaping out at me. . .)  If you do, just leave a comment to this post.  One week from today the game will be on!  I'll select a "winner" from those who want to play, and tell you who won.  You then have to tell me some of the things in your fridge you want to use up, and what frozen/canned goods you have.  If your family has special dietary needs, be sure to say so!  It's ok to tell me you have meat to use up--I'll do the best I can with it, but just be warned that is not my specialty.  ; ) 

UPDATE:

You folks crack me up.  The silence in here is deafening!  You are all totally and completely quaking in your boots at the thought of what I might come up with and that you would have to COOK IT and EAT IT.  Uh-huh, now I REALLY know what you all think of my creative cooking skills! ; )

I realize I did not make this clear in the above post, so let me do so now:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACTUALLY COOK WHAT I COME UP WITH.  Of course, you could always try it, and then you would truly have the Blessed Table experience, which might be fun and might even be tasty--wait, did I just name the game?  I think I did!  I know you Midwesterners in particular might be really nervous about the thought of eating the weird combinations I come up with (maybe Scottish Twins aside).  But think about this--since the food selection will be coming from YOUR fridge, how weird could it be?  (I doubt most of you have on hand in your fridge the things I routinely do, like kalamata olives and feta and artichoke hearts and. .  i'm making myself hungry. . . but you get the idea)

So, NO PRESSURE!  No one has to want to play the game--I will not be the least bit offended, although I will be quite amused. : )

Much love to all of you this Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Really Its food include dinner and colorful this food i like that. nice idea ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested! Especially since lately with my busy schedule sometimes I just look in the fridge and groan because I can't think of anything to put together. I also love the frugality of the idea. I am the kind of person who feels a sense of accomplishment when eating the last little bit of leftovers that no one else will eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome. I am totally in. And, I'll be honest, I'm considering the ethics of stuffing the ballot box to increase my odds of winning.

    Hurry up and pick me before I give in and throw away the leftover mac and cheese...I really want to see it turned into something! *laugh*

    For a name, I suggest something related to Five Loaves and Two Fish because you take odd foods and turn them into meals for many!

    ReplyDelete