words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, August 6, 2010

Yes, Mom, I Opened the Box!


Here is Merry feeling a little sassy in the dress Mom just finished for her.  That's entirely hand-sewn and hand-smocked, folks.  My mom has amazing talent, and I love the dresses she makes for the girls, the more old-fashioned the better.

Merry says, "It is so beautiful and I was so happy when I first saw it!"

And while we are on the subject, here is another pic, of Happy in one of her new birthday dresses this summer:


I look at her in this dress and can imagine an old black and white photograph of this child, standing on the sideboard of a 1920's Ford truck, her family's earthly treasures piled and bound in the truck bed behind her,  her mother sitting in the front seat, gazing off camera, her face taunt and weary, with a faded but still jaunty hat on her head and a baby fussing in her lap. . . I dunno, maybe that's not at all historically accurate for the actual style and pattern of this dress, but it has such an innocence and yet an old-timey ache to it. . . I think this one will be of my all-time favorites, Mom. : )


(I wish I could show you all the back--the smocking goes all the way around!!!) Luckily it looks like she will be able to wear it for at least two summers!

(And doesn't it look fabulous against my hobbit green door?)

Thank, Mom.

4 comments:

  1. What talent! That's amazing!

    You so need to take a picture just like you described. Find a truck, pose her...and I'm envisioning an old, worn doll in her hand...and take the picture! Edit into B&W and call it art ;) Seriously cool image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, you are so cute--now that you are studying photography you are "seeing" the shots in your head. : ) (And by the way I really enjoyed your little photo tutorial the other day!) Hmmmm, maybe I will try that!

    (and by the way, anyone who wants to look at the smocking and detail closer, just double click on the photos to embiggen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK -- you have redeemed yourself:) I am glad that both you and the girls like the dresses that I make. I have almost finished the shorts outfit for M in Gulf Port, and then I will do the project for G for her birthday. I will probably need you to do some measurements for all three before I do their Christmas outfits. Well, today is the wedding I was telling you about, and yes, I am going to wear the chinese dress to it.

    ReplyDelete