words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, August 7, 2010

Blessing of the Week: Blue Flowers for a Blue Girl

I realized yesterday that I have been feeling a little blue.

Reasons I can think of:

1. Not enough sleep for me or DH this past week, for no good reason. 

2. And definitely keeping up the girls WAAAAAAAY to late Weds. night for that beach bonfire, which appears to have broken their normally sweet dispositions, esp. Sunny's.  And by that I mean my lovely Sunny girl has been AWFUL the past two days.  Things were so yucky Friday I had a hard time even getting into the shower, and even then Smiley was not well attended (normally one area in which Sunny, well, shines) and was getting into things he should not have, and girls got into fights TWICE.  All in the space of the shortest shower I could manage.

3.  This being the absolute coldest and greyest summer EVER.  It's like winter Part 2.  Seriously, every morning for the past several weeks we wake up to a house that is 60 degrees.  DH has to make a fire before work to take the chill off.  Usually the sun comes out around 11, so if the house is not too cold we just bring the outdoor warmth in, and all is well.  But the sun has not been coming out until around 3 in the afternoon, and even then the tempterature hovers in the 60's to lower 70's for much of the day, which means without the fire the house would be pretty miserable.  I think all the gray and cold is starting to take its toll on our psyches.

SO, when I realized I was a bit melancholy, and also realized my usual little psychological boost of tea and dark chocolate was not working, I decided I needed to start reminding myself of the GOOD stuff in life.  This means most of all I gotta spend more time hanging out with Jesus, because He is the one sure-fire cure for the blues. 

And I decided too it was about time to have a Blessing of the Week:


These absolutely fabulous hydrangeas were a love gift from my dear Rosa.  She has a huge bush that is practically obscene with these huge, amazingly colored blooms.  She knows how much I love hydrangeas and has been so quick to share at times when their beauty would make some people just want to keep them all to themselves.  These blooms have brightened my kitchen table for over a week and are just now starting to droop--but their beauty, and the reminder of friends who love and support and encourage me, lingers on. 

Just what I needed for a blue week.

3 comments:

  1. Those are just gorgeous!! What an awesome friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flowers. They do add sunshine to your kitchen. I have been praying for you ever since I read your blog the other day. Actually that is not a new exercise. We always pray for you, but since reading the above, I have been praying with new insite. We met with a Chinese couple who are having real problems. Please pray with us and for this couple, and ask that G_d give us real wisdom and insight, and that He would guide us in our next interaction with the couple. I am thinking I should see if the wife could, should, would go out to lunch with me. I am really concerned for the husband in particular but also for the wife as this impacts her. The wedding Sat was very nice, the bride was beautiful, the groom very happy, etc:) I did not feel out of place in my chinese dress, but you should have seen me trying to get into the van in the slim long skirt:) And I had to take smaller steps than usual. I told Daddy that I was being dutiful wife:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your prayers, Mom. Keep 'em coming! ; )

    I will pray that God will give you wisdom in your interactions with your Chinese friends.

    And so glad you had a good time at the wedding and felt appropriately dressed. And dutiful!

    ReplyDelete