words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

eagerly anticipating a worn-out spoon in my Christmas stocking!


I am really excited for this year's Christmas stockings. When D and I first got married, we agreed that stockings aren't just for kids, and so every person in our family has them and we all hang them up Christmas eve and find them laden with goodies (so heavy they are laying under the Christmas tree) the next morning.

It is a good thing my kids don't read my blog. Yet. Spoilers ahead! We have never told them there is a Santa Claus (i.e. we never lie to them, ever) but we have read stories that feature Santa and so they have made assumptions we have not corrected. But if they ever ask, like 4-year-old B did just last week, how Santa comes down the chimney when we have a fire going in the fireplace and the doors closed so tightly, we just say, "That's a really good question. What do you think?" G, turning 9 this weekend, has been asking such questions for years, but just this year really listened to my responses, and has figured out there is no living person called Santa Claus. But she is still eagerly awaiting the stockings and Christmas morning gift-giving (ok, the receiving). She is on her way to figuring out that Santa Claus is a symbol for the joy of giving (and receiving), and for spreading love through giving (and receiving) as a way of celebrating God's gift of Jesus to the world.

The kids don't get anything extravagant in their stockings: new undies, a new book, new toothbrushes or flossing tools, socks, slippers, hairthings, art supplies. Sometimes there is a small toy, but nothing plastic or cheap. Last year they all got different music makers: harmonica (a REAL one), mouth harp, kazoo, percussion sticks (for the baby boy!). And every year each child gets a yellow chocolate banana slug. (It's a Santa Cruz thing.) But the kids are so easily pleased, and rejoice over every little thing--it is really fun to share with them.

D and I fill each other's stockings. I make it easier on D by buying a few things for myself when I see them at a good price and saving them for my stocking. So this year, I know my stocking will at least have some awesome new SmartWool patterned socks (the best socks I have ever worn in my entire life) a Josh Groban Christmas CD, new dish-washing scrubbies, and the Christmas ornament pictured above that I just love for its symbolism. All these things I bought during really good sales, up to 75% off (one of the reasons I shop year round!). The night before Christmas, "Santa" will add his own surprises, like my favorite expensive tea and yummy dark chocolate treats.

Filling D's stocking is hard for me. Most of the things he wants I can't afford, or can't pick out without his help (new car parts, tools, etc.). So I have some basics that he gets in his stocking every year, and that I know he does enjoy: (no spoilers here! ; ) something dark chocolate, coffee beans, and a blue-label Chimay beer (at $7 a bottle, it's a special treat). But I never know what else to add, and confess that sometimes I am just trying to think of something to buy because I want to fill his stocking, not because I know he really wants it. I hate that, although I am careful enough in my shopping so that I think he does generally like the items I get him--but they are not necessarily anything he needed or really wanted. This kind of gift-giving is not at all in line with my ideals, which I have been sharing here recently.

This year we are faced with a very limited budget. As in not really any "extra" at all. So I am very thankful that because I shop year-round we are almost completely done with all our gift-giving. Except for stockings. The girls are pretty well covered--the few things we still need to buy they actually need, like panties and socks, so we will still get those, and of course we want to have the traditional chocolate banana slugs, which are not very expensive.

So it was really just D's stocking that I had been bummed about. What was I going to put into it that would be a surprise, really inexpensive, but--most importantly--meaningful?

And then divine inspiration hit. D and I decided that this year we are going to fill each other's stockings with things from around the house that represent something we love about the other person or are thankful for in the other person.

This idea represents everything I love about Christmas, and fits our budget! It is unique and memorable. It spreads love. It does not generate waste or add clutter. It is free.
And I think this idea will make filling each others stockings so much more fun--no more feeling like I need to buy something just to fill up the stocking, no more worrying what he will like. It may be an old sock, but it will be full of loving meaning and worth a chuckle to boot. I have a feeling this will be a new tradition, even when we have "plenty" of money for gifts.

I am eagerly anticipating Christmas morning and discovering what "Santa" has put in my stocking.

And THAT"s a good Christmas feeling.

8 comments:

  1. How funny- we do socks and underwear in stockings too! (Gee, where do you think we got that idea?) I love the idea of giving things that mean something, but make sure an explanation goes along! I once gave Chris a list of things I was thankful for. One thing we do that I enjoyed from our childhood, is that the girls each have a small manger to fill with hay as they do good deeds for each other. Actually, this is something we do in my Sunday school class, so basically I have spent the last 10 years making mangers for 1st graders to share with their families during advent. It's such a little thing, but to me it really is about getting the heart ready for Christmas. And on another note, I think homemade gifts are sometimes the best. Remember the Christmas eve gifts we did? I once gave Grandma Lager a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas and had fun reading over Rebecca's shoulder as she was posting her comment. I have such good memories of Christmas when I was a child, and it all revolves around family and a few special gifts -- like the broken clock that Peyton gave Daddy and me when we were first married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a love filled home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't do the stocking thing much as my husband's Mom is gung-ho about it. But they look like fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, everyone. : )

    Rebecca, it is funny that you mentioned the manger, since I was planning on writing about that soon! And of course I remember the poem--wasn't it "The Rememberance of a Dream"? And then do you remember I wrote a long poem as a Christmas Eve gift to you in response to that poem? You may not remember, but I liked your poem so much I made a tribute poem, about a girl reading the poem and being transported into that world through her imagination via the words of the poem. And the last line of my poem was the title of yours.

    Now that I think about it, we were really gifted back then. What happened?!

    And Mom, I am totally with you that sometimes the most special gifts are the ones that we appreciate because of the love (and sacrifice) behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of using things around the house that you love about the other person for stockings. I may steal this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are more that welcome to it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I'm glad I read all the way to the end. I love your idea. It gave me a lump in my throat. :-)

    ReplyDelete