words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, November 8, 2009

we interrupt the scheduled posting for a resounding THANK YOU LORD!

D just came home from church, where he took G and M this morning. I stayed home with B, who might have pinkeye, and E, who has a cold.

I went out to the driveway to greet him and ask them all to be quiet coming into the house because E was asleep. We chatted about their morning for a few minutes, enjoying the sunshine, and then D told me a story about what happened to them a few minutes ago:

They were in the minivan coming home from church, sitting at at red light at the intersection of Cabrillo/Highway 1 and Highway 9. They were in the left-hand lane, with the lane to turn onto Highway 9 on their left, another car in front of them, and another mini-van in the lane to their right, and the right-turn lane onto Hgwy 9/River St. to the right of that. He heard a horrible screetch of tires, like you hear right before a huge CRASH, and saw to his right an 80's muscle car barreling past him, trailing a huge cloud of black smoke. The car passed BETWEEN our minivan and the van in the right hand lane, running the red light and charging through that very busy intersection without accident.

D thinks the car was going about 45-50 mph when it entered the intersection. He figures the driver was speeding up while approaching the intersection, then had to slam on the brakes (enough to make them smoke so badly!) to try to stop, realized he could not, and chose to hit the gas to get through the intersection as fast as possible.

We drive on that road multiple times a week. I have never seen enough room for a whole car to fit between the cars parked in their lanes. A motocycle, yes. A mini-cooper, maybe. A full sized car? No. I cannot comprehend how that muscle car flew between two rows of vehicles--WIDE vehicles, mind you!--without even touching them. There should have been major wreckage to all the cars he passed, crumpled doors, shattered side windows--at the very least there should have been knocked off side-view mirrors, or even just one car's side scraped!

For that car to get through that very busy intersection unscathed while running the red light is something we would say was "a miracle," but mean it in the sense of an amazing, but conceviable possibility. But how the car made it past the cars waiting at the light seems to me inconceviable; truly impossible.

I firmly believe God just performed a quick, quiet miracle to save my family and the others there at the intersection.

Our mini-van has three rows of seats, and we have the last row pushed back as far as it goes to accommodate all the car seats. Both older girls were sitting in their seats in the last row, maybe 16 inches from the rear hatch. If that car had hit our vehicle, D would have been injured, but the girls would most likely have been killed.

But God is so good, he not only protected them from harm, but Beulah (our mini-van) too. In what should have been a horrible, tragic accident, NO ONE even got a scratch.

Amen, amen, amen!

5 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! and Amen! Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. My in-town friends, please think about this posting next time you are at that intersection, and praise God.

    I was just there this afternoon, and purposefully put myself where D was when the incident happened. I was almost all the way to the left side of my lane. There was not nearly enough room on my right between me and the vehicle next to me for another car to pass.

    I think that intersection is now going to be a "standing stone" like the Israelites left at the Jordan to remind them of what God had done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Glory be to God! That is absolutely impossible. As I was reading this story, I was thinking, "No, that's not possible, you can't fit another car between those lanes!" Incredible. I am so thankful to our Father that D and the girls are safe. I will think and pray the next time I'm in that exact spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wording was not very clear in my comment, I now realize, so let me clarify--I meant that intersection will be a rememberance for me personally from now on. I was not expecting my in-town friends to cherish the spot like I will, but just to take a good look next time you pass through there and see for yourself if this story could have happened without divine intervention or not. So thank you, Shera, for testifying, so the out-of-town readers don't think this is all in my imagination. : )

    ReplyDelete