words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, October 17, 2009

when the dog bites, when the bee stings. . .

I posted the "speak no evil" pic yesterday while trying to see some humor in the day. Hey, some days we take whatever we can get.

But today, when I look at those three faces in the pic, I don't remember how horrible they were with their mouths, or how frustrated I was and desperate to get them out of the negative pattern (my unorthodox solution worked--they still talked behind the tape, but much less, and without fighting or screaming!); I see three unusually fragile creatures who need lots of loving and lots of grace. Hmmmmm, just like me. Instead of making me chuckle, the pic makes me want to give them each a hug. So that is an excellent use of this blog!

Today is going much better, well, at least for the girls. Daddy is getting a taste of the life I have been living all week while he is at work, and he is pretty grumpy about it. ; ) And my throat is killing me, worse than yesterday, and I am really tired. But the sun is shining, and we have each other, right? Yes, we have each other.

To close off this post: a little something I found on the web, dedicated to Rosa:




(Rebecca, I promised you a dedication first, but I have not yet had anything to share that fits--soon, I promise!)

4 comments:

  1. OHHH! One of my most favorite songs!! Sometimes I wish life was a musical and you could just break out into song and everyone would know the words. I sorta picture heaven like that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the girls with their mouths taped shut! I have so felt that way! And it's actually not a bad way to get their attention; a little indignity can go a long way.

    One thing I did when E was about G's age- I got them each a little notebook (black paper with colored pencils to make it fun) and smiley and frowny face stickers (you can probably see where this is going!)Every time E would not listen and desist, she got a frowny sticker and was sent to time out. To get out of time out, she had to have calmed down and written or drawn a picture in her book of what happened, why, how she felt, etc. When she was caught being good, she got a smiley sticker and could write down what she did to earn it. At the end of the trip we looked through our notebooks and counted how many we had of each type of sticker. It was an eye opening experience for E. It helped her to see how far "in the red" she was, and gave her plenty of incentive to earn more smiley faces! We saw a major behavior improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new mental image you have given me of "joy," Shera. : ) Maybe that is what I should have the girls do next time we are all spiraling down--showtunes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for seeing the humor in the pic, Rebecca--I thought it was funny, but then later wondered how many of my kinder, gentler (or childless!) friends would be horrified. Anyone worrying--the girls thought it was funny too.

    We sometimes use stickers on the mouth to help a girl remember when her mouth is having a time-out. And I really wish I had gotten a photo of a time on our month-long roadtrip this summer when I snuck in some rare quiet time--with a baby pacifier in each girls' mouth! : ) (they loved it)

    Thanks for the great suggestion about the stickers and notebooks! This is the stuff I love to hear--ideas, ideas!

    ReplyDelete