words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blessing of the Week: Not having to Stick my Hand in Crap when i Feel like Crap


Ok, so while I was pontificating about my amazing cloth diapers last week, this week I am very genuinely thankful for my "cheapo" disposable diapers.

Weekend before last I came down with a truly strange illness, which started Saturday as general malaise with a touch of
1) stomach ache and
2) backache and
3) headache,
which I attributed at the time to
1) eating peanut butter on my toast for breakfast, which I am mildly allergic too and may have been eating too much of recently;
2) carrying a whole bunch of full plastic tubs from under the house up the deck stairs while having the stomach-ache from the peanut butter, so that I was probably not lifting with my stomach muscles properly and putting extra strain on my back, and
3) not having had a break from children AT ALL for at least two weeks, culminating in that Sat. when D ended up working from home and so not only did I have full charge of the kiddos all that day too, but had to keep them quiet while he was constantly on phone meetings in the living room. Which, as some of you know is also our home office. And our bedroom. And baby E's bedroom. And the family room. You get the idea.

So, anyway, the general sense of not-wellness continued Sunday morning and right at the end of church became a backache and headache so bad I was flat on my back the rest of the day and evening. Seriously! I laid there, having flashbacks to the back labor I had when delivering G, wondering what on earth I had done. But after also suffering from. . . um. . . shall we delicately say unusual bowels, for all that weekend and several days after, I started to wonder if I actually had some kind of food poisoning that had affected my kidneys, since that is where the back pain had been.

Ok, so anyway, I slowly recuperated last week and was pretty much completely myself again by late Weds. The rest of the week was fine. But just three days later, this past Sat., I was feeling that malaise again, and a lethargic restlessness. By evening I took inventory of all the things my body was telling me and realized I was getting sick. That night I had a horrible fever, chills and aches. But the worst of it broke in the wee hours of the morning, and I had just medium fever and aches and chills for Sunday but a terrible headache, so of course I stayed home (with E) from church. Monday I was feeling much better, except the illness mutated and settled in my throat, and so since then I have had the horrible painful sore throat thing going on, with mild runny/stuffy nose and mild headache. Ugh.

Ok, so anyway, enough with the descriptive detail. I was not trying to whine, but just to set the stage, so you all would fully appreciate with me the wonderful blessing of diapers you do NOT have to wash out in the toilet, gather up and carry down to the underbelly every night, wash and hang dry every couple of days. Nope, you feel horrible, and your baby is poopy and you can barely carry him into the bedroom you are so weak and shaky, and as you bend over him you have stabs of pain piercing your left temple and there is no extra hassle, you just wipe him up and put a new disposable on him, and carry the offending mess out to the trash neatly wrapped up in the disposable diaper. Can somebody give me a Hallelujah!

I love my FuzziBunz and SnapEZ cloth diapers, like I said before.

But I reeeeeeeeeally appreciate my cheapo disposables. Esp. when I am sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment