words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

what are you in the mood for?

My friends, sisters, Mom! I was recently visiting a blog in which the author asked her readers what they wanted to hear more of. I thought that sounded like a neat idea, so as you see in the sidebar, I have made a little quiz on the topic too.

I started this blog just because I was so enjoying reading my good friend Susan's blog and knowing a little about her life and thoughts from afar. I thought maybe I could do the same and my long-distance friends and sisters might enjoy it similarly. I was thinking esp. of my sisters, who live in Alabama and Virginia, and whom I have only seen every couple of years since we all left home so long ago. We have never known each other's daily lives, and so when we do talk on the phone there is always too much to say. I was looking forward to writing about life and hearing in the comments about the similar life experiences, or opinions, or questions, etc. of my sisters and friends, envisioning this blog as a shared space for chatting--as if I were sitting down for a quick cup of tea with my favorite women.

I don't think my blog has actually served this initial purpose, since I have realized that most people who read blogs are themselves bloggers! My sisters are not bloggers, and have very legitimate reasons for not being online much. That's ok--no one HAS to come by and visit, and I assume anyone who does not has good reason and I don't take it personally. And it is fun just writing and knowing my mom is a faithful reader. : ) And some of my long-distance friends DO come by and read--thanks, friends! But ironically, I think most of my readers are friends from out here on the Bay. To all of you, thank you! I have found that writing helps me battle "baby brain" (and the occassional baby blues) and while I don't say anything brilliant or clever, I hope you sometimes get a chuckle, or encouragement for your day. So I am going to keep on doing it, and hope that every now and then someone lets me know they got something out of it.

So, to those of you reading, what are the things you enjoy hearing about? The same blogger who inspired the quiz also mentioned a few things that make a blog "successful," and two of the things were that you write about what you are passionate about, and you write what people would like to hear about. Seem pretty "well, duh!" suggestions, but they got me thinking. I am not going to start measuring my "success" by how many "followers" I have, or how many comments I get (although those are fun and appreciated). I am going to keep writing until life circumstances tell me to stop, and be glad if my only reader is Mom. But I am very interested in hearing what things you enjoy the most. So please take the quiz, when you have a second. : )

4 comments:

  1. Just popping in to say I check your blog regularly! I just rarely comment. Though I often find myself commenting in my head (to yours and others' posts)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister checking in! I do check your blog fairly regularly, and Chris checks more ofter than I do, but we rarely leave comments. Sorry if you felt neglected! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mina, you are one of the friends I originally started writing for, so it is fun to know you are still reading! Thanks! : ) (Although we still need that phone date soon! I have a horrible time making phone calls these days, but I have been thinking about you a lot, so it must be overdue!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca! I saw your first comment the other day and was so honored you came by (this is my big sis, everyone!) knowing how you do not like to be on the computer when you are away from work, since you spend all day at work in front of it! So it is fun to know you come by--and I am thrilled Chris does too! Now I have TWO men venturing into Blessedland! ; )

    ReplyDelete