words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, October 2, 2009

Blessing of the Week: Adorable, Eco-Friendly Baby Bum!

Ok, the last couple of postings have been pretty down, so I thought I needed to get back to something a little more positive. What better to turn around the blues than blessings!

Way back when G was a baby I bought some nifty cloth diapers called FuzziBunz. LOVE them! They are a waterproof outer diaper cover that you can stuff whatever you like into to absorb the liquid--hemp works the best, esp. when used with a softer, quick absorbing layer on top of it. The inner fabric of the diaper cover, against baby's bottom, wicks moisture away from the skin, so baby never gets diaper rash. And poop does not stick to the fabric easily, which is another bonus when you wash them at home as I do. (and if anyone reading this wants to know my AMAZINGLY easy way of cleaning them, please email. ; )

These same diapers and inserts have lasted through three children and are on the fourth! So while they were pricey to start out, they have long ago paid for themselves. They are so adjustable with all the snaps that they fit our babies from under 1 year to potty training! But I never used them for newborns--ours were so tiny, and frankly I allowed myself the luxury of laziness for a few months with each new baby. And I use disposable when we travel, and at night for the last two babies, since they have been really heavy wetters and I am not a green earth martyr--I think one disposable diaper to ensure a full night's sleep for everyone is a fair trade. But we use the cloth all the time here at home, and love them.

When E was born last year I added just a couple more diapers that are the same idea but even cuter, if that is possible, from Snap-EZ:

So cute! And I realized last week, when I bought some more disposable diapers at Costco after not buying them for a while, that even cheapo diapers are expensive, and at this point in their lives, our cloth ones are free. FREE diapers! I can't even count the water use, because we pay a flat rate for the water. I do dry the inserts in the dryer, so that takes energy, but the diaper covers I dry on the line over the fireplace. Using cloth diapers adds more work to my week, that is for sure, since I wash diapers about 2 x week, but we are saving at LEAST $300 a year by using cloth and laundering them ourselves.

Blessing!

And the best part--while the hemp inserts are almost completely falling apart (they've earned it!), everything else should still be good for passing on to ANOTHER child when E is done in a couple of years!

1 comment:

  1. Uh, just to clarify, I did not mean we would pass them down to a SIBLING. Any other kind of child will work just fine.

    ReplyDelete