words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, February 18, 2009

secret satisfaction

Ok, so even though we do not have TV, I managed to watch the end of the last season of American Idol. I had watched the last quarter of the very first season seven years ago back in CO, when D was out here in CA already and it was pretty quiet by myself in the evenings. But TV has not been a part of our lives since then (of which I am grateful), not so much due to intellectual snobbery or self-righteous moral superiority (although these do come into play ; ) as logistics: we have not had any decent TV reception since moving to CA. I remember trying to watch the Winter Olympics there in Seaside--couldn't hardly see the athletes for all the "snow"! And here under the redwoods we get nuthin,' I mean nuthin' at all.

BUT last year near the end of the American Idol competition--I think down to the final 12 contestants--a news article piqued my interest and led me to my new source of A.I.: youtube. The show is on Tues nights, so Weds mornings I would sit down at the computer for my "elevensies" (tea + snack) and look at a recap of the previous night's performances on Google news, from which I would select the best sounding snippets to hunt down on youtube.

Alas, copyright infringement is not allowing me to download and post here the video I want to share, so those who are interested can follow the link to what was undoubtedly one of the best performances of the entire last season:


A version of Chris Cornell's version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." And while I love the Cornell version, this is even better, due to that one brilliantly held note that was all David Cook's embellishment.

He won the competition, in case you are with radio as I am with TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment