words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Loving Acts of Service Part 2


Tues a dear friend gave me the gift of an entire day without children. Well, broken up by picking up M from kindergarten and nursing E, but several hours in one stretch in the morning and then again in the afternoon. First thing in the morning she sent me away from her home childless, but not empty-handed, with a little treasure hunt of envelopes to lead me to a coffeeshop for chai and breakfast to go, then on to a neighborhood beach with her ipod and music for surf-walking and basking in God's presence.

My friend set the mood for the day with a song I was instructed to play immediately upon leaving her driveway, "New Day" by the Robbie Seay Band:

I'm gonna sing this song
To let you know that you're not alone
And if you're like me
You need hope, coffee, and melody
So sit back down
Let the world keep spinning ‘round
For yesterday's gone and today is waiting on you to show your face

It might not be
The prettiest thing that you'll ever see
But it’s a new day, oh baby, it’s a new day
And it might not look like
A beautiful sunrise
But it's a new day, oh baby, it’s a new day. . .



photo from "this is blandiose.org" is of a beach in Aptos--does not look like the exact one where I wandered, eyes on tumbling water and roaming for sea glass, but the slant of the light and friendly solitude in the photo are so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment