words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

shopping for Steampunk--and succeeding!

Two weekends ago I had a fantastic day with one of my favorite women in the world, my dear Becky.   With the gift of a child-free day, we went shopping up in a part of San Jose (anytime we go "over the hill" to SJ it automatically feels special*) with upscale stores and charming (i.e. expensive and really good) restaurants.  In fact, the first thing we did was eat--we knew we would need all our strength for shopping. ; )  Becky knew of a little Mexican-ish place on the main street, and it was sooooooo goooooood.  We ordered only two things and split them:  carnitas, and guacamole.  The guacamole was made from a tray of fresh ingredients by a handsome Mexican waiter right there at our table.  It was served with little flour wraps, which were perfect for the carnitas too--and that dish was also so tasty.  Even though pork is my meat of choice, as a mostly vegetarian any flesh flavor still grosses me out just a tad, so I prefer my pork with some kind of sauce, or cooked in combination with other things.  This was just a bowl of seasoned and cooked shredded pork, without any sauce, and was so good on its own!  Really delicious--paired with the fresh guacamole, it was seriously a bit of heaven.

No, really, that simple meal was the first of many perfect things that made the day so fun and memorable.  And afterwards we were well fortified and ready to do some serious clothes hunting.

The last time I bought clothes (which I blogged about here and here) I was getting new winterish things; this year I needed some new short-sleeved things (and yes, I needed them all summer, but what's a girl to do if she doesn't have time to shop?).   And I figured, hey, if I am going to buy some new clothes, why not see if I can hunt down neo-Victorian/Steampunk pieces?! 

So I was thrilled to see that this year the trends in coats and jackets and blouses work really well with Steampunk! 

For example, in the Free People store, I found the most amazing coat EVER:



heritage wool coat, by free people

These pics cannot do the coat justice.  It had a beautiful, antique woven texture, and little black cloth buttons not only down the front but also on the sleeves, and it fit me like it was made for me, and looked fabulous on me, and it is neo-Victorian, which is the foundation of Steampunk clothing--and it was also something around $300, so I just modelled it wistfully for Becky.

(And look at the adorable skirts the model is wearing with it above! Also totally Steampunk in potential!)

I did, however, find some really cute and practical things that were a wee Steampunk and affordable too!
origami stretch shirt, by The Limited

I bought this top, in this color--looks so good with black jeans and these earrings that I bought this past summer at the Trade As One store!  And while I did need a little color in my wardrobe (black and grey and chocolate brown still being my wardrobe staples, by happy choice), I still don't feel myself in colors that are too bright or saturated.  This blue is perfect, and I wore it to church on Sunday and felt just right, and prettily me.

Raw Edge Ruffle 3/4 Sleeve Jacket, by Ann Taylor Loft (follow the link to see the back--sooooo cute!)

This jacket I immediately fell in love with, and it looked so good on me that while I was trying it on in front of a mirror at the store, two different women stopped to ask me where it was located in the store. : )  Ok, maybe that's a stretch, maybe it was the jacket and not me, but either way, I decided it was going to be my splurge for the day--luckily at an additional 40% off!  But I have a feeling I will get a lot of use out of it--it is compatible with almost all of my tops, short or 3/4 sleeve, it is my favorite color, it is casual but can dress up nicely for church, it makes me feel pretty, and here on the Bay I usually need to grab a jacket when I am leaving the house, so this will be a good to-go staple.  AND it too is a wee-bit Steampunky!  (The shape, the color, the distressed texture around the lapels.)

Seamed Denim Jacket also by Ann Taylor/LOFT (this store really needs help naming their clothing)

There was also a more tailored denim version at the store, pictured above, but I did not have use for more than one jacket, and the first one was just so much more "me."  It is very similar in style, though--click on the link to see the back. 

(Oh, and anyone interested, the sale at Ann Taylor/LOFT is still going on)

Then I also got an adorable black short sleeve top with white swiss dots and a drapey neckline--but strangely, even this was the only non-sale item I bought that day, it is not pictured anywhere on the Banana Republic website.  So, I can't show you, but you will just have to believe me that while this top was not the least Steampunk, it is cute and flattering and practical and looks great with bluejeans and is perfect under a black Steampunky jacket I already owned. 

So, a very fun day, and very rewarding, in so many ways!

I don't want a lot of clothes, and now with the addition of two short sleeved tops and the grey jacket I am pretty much set.  The fact that I can make these pieces subtly Steampunk is the icing on the cake! 



*insert church lady voice here

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I love what you picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choices, and I'm glad that you and Becky had a fun day. By the way -- please send me the web sites for the gifts for the girls that we were discussing the other day. Oh -- Daddy mailed you a package today.

    ReplyDelete