words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Snippet of the day: come peek into my wardrobe Pt. 1

Way back when, I promised pics of my new outfits, but the pics I took of them hanging in the house were just too dark or washed out with flash. So just tonight I took a few minutes to see if I could find pics of some of the pieces online--and I did!

So here is one of my favorite new pieces, a tunic by Free People:


Image from Nordstrom.com

Except, um, I don't wear it while I'm nekkid. I wear it with jeans and this top:

Image from Zappos.com


The top is by a brand I had not previously heard of, called 3 dots. I really, really like their tops! The local store had an awesome selection of 3/4 length sleeve all cotton tops by this company, and so far they are washing and wearing very well. Very good quality cotton, well made, oh and made in the USA too. I bought this exact same style in fushia too.

Here is the black top also by 3 dots that I bought at the same time (note the different neckline):

Also from Zappos.com

This black top I currenly wear as part of two new outfits--luckily one is for cold weather and one is for warm, so I don't usually need to wear the top more than once a week. But I have been wearing it once a week since I got it! Good thing it is good, quality cotton--I think I will be wearing it out as it is. So for the cold weather look, I wear this top under a purple, short-sleeve cowl-neck, skinny belted tunic sweater (got that?), with black skinny jeans and this awesome necklace of big shiny laquered nuts that Becky brought us as a gift from Hawaii years back:

Image from i.offer.com

The outfit needed. . . something. . . and when inspiration hit I had to dig into the girls' dress up box to locate the necklace. But it is just the right final touch. No, the girls won't get it back for a while.

The sweater and jeans were from my mother-in-law, so the only part of the outfit I purchased is the top. Sweet!

When the weather is warmer, I wear the black top with striped knee socks under this awesome skirt:

Brown Steampunk Curtain Skirt by Onanya

You can cinch up those D-rings, two on the front, two on the back, to give it the most awesome romantic gathers! I only had one long skirt in my wardrobe, so this is a very practical addition.

On etsy, of course, the source for another new top I am really happy with:

Raven Babbydoll Dress Tunic by Deadworry

Worn with rib knit black leggings and a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan. And I bet my new favorite black top would make it even more practical when the weather is still cold. Ok, I have a confession--I have not actually worn this outfit yet. Because the leggings are cropped and so far I have not had warm enough weather AND recently shaved legs at the same time. But I am sure one of these days the heavens will align themselves just right and it will happen and I am really looking forward to that day.

So, these were the new clothing items I bought before Lent. And since I had not seriously shopped for clothes in, well, about 6 years, it was time for them, and I am really enjoying them. It is actually scary--I had been alternating two of the new outfits for church mornings for several weeks and thought I had better wear an "old" outfit for a change--and I could not remember what I used to wear to church before the new clothes came into my wardrobe! I have a horrifying suspicion that I wore the same black sweater (one of my favorites) every Sunday, just rotating what jeans or skirts went with it--the same sweater, over and over, week after week. It makes me shudder. Well, at least no one would think I was too concerned with the things of this world, ha ha!

But I'll bet the word frumpy was not far from their minds either.

Pt. 2 coming another day!

8 comments:

  1. I love it all!

    And...I'm sorry to say...but I think I might have to copy you and buy that Raven top! Soooooo freakin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!

    Desiree, that raven top/dress would be adorable on you. AND if you check out their link they do custom orders, including owls! : ) But if you like the raven, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the owl/octopus one, hehe...I thought about it, but I think it would freak out Dd, hahah! I bookmarked that page though...the clothes are soooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look and you are SO hip, skye loves the free people stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tops! Which neckline do you like better on yourself? I've started getting particular about necklines- some are NOT flattering on me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, thanks Willow!

    Rebecca, I completely agree that some necklines are not flattering--on me it is V-neck, which I can get away with in a short sleeved top, but NOT a long sleeve. For me it is all about balance. And so I have found that I have more flexibility with necklines if the top is long enough (too short is the fashion death-knell for my body) and if it is 3/4 length sleeved, which nicely balanced everything out and makes me look slimmer (since I have nice slim forearms). I also find that sleeve length more practical for the things I do all day--no more pushing up sleeves.

    ButI must say the black top is my favorite. It is SO flattering. Seriously, you should think about trying one if you need a black top--I bet it would look great on you too, even with our different body types.

    UPDATE: wore the new raven outfit yesterday--totally comfy and I felt young, cute and hip!

    ReplyDelete