words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, October 27, 2011

Blessing of, uh, Two Weeks Ago

Remember two weeks ago when I mentioned I was struggling with sadness, in a heavy heart-place?

Well, something completely unexpected happened, that made me feel like God was whispering hope and love in my ear:


When have I ever seen a Calla lilly bloom in my backyard in the Fall?

Never, that's when.

I mean, they're called Easter lillies for a reason!  And while this year I had the most gorgeous proliferation of blooms in the Spring, and enjoyed them immensely, they died over the course of a couple of months, just like always.

Why would one start to bloom right then, at just when my heart would so appreciate it? 

The view from my bathroom window

Ah, I know the rain we had a few weeks ago must have had something to do with it, and we have had a gorgeous Indian summer the past two months (I keep telling you all, Fall is the time to visit the Bay!) which I am sure the plants loved, and clearly they must sometimes bloom in the Fall. . .

Doesn't matter.  God knows what beauty would minister to my crushed spirit.

I'm fine now.  My heart is good.  And now there are two stalks in bloom.  And I am making a point of looking at them out the window whenever I'm washing my hands at the bathroom sink, to keep the gratitude for blooms and heart healing fresh in my mind.


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the view from that window when we were with you this summer. The flowers were so pretty.

    ReplyDelete