words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, April 24, 2010

come take a peek into my wardrobe Pt 2.

I said I would finish posting about my new outfits. . . but, really, there is only one more:

tunic/dress by Mudd, from Kohls

Sonoma short sleeved cardigan from Kohls

Except my cardigan is a slightly faded navy blue. And I wear these two pieces with a long sleeved plain white crew neck T underneath (when it warms up I won't need to) and a pair of skinny legged blue jeans.

And it was all on clearance, and then my MIL had a coupon for an extra 15% off that! And she paid for it all, too, but that was not the best part--the best part was that I needed the clothes, I found clothes I liked at good prices, and I found them while with my MIL so we could together channel her desire to show love through buying things in a healthy way.

And there was a moment of shared experience with her, too. While we were quickly wading through all the clearance racks--and there were a LOT of them--a Vera Wang dress of royal blue and black print caught my eye, but I did not need a dress so I did not really look any closer. But my MIL saw it too and insisted I try it on. She said she had bought herself a similar Vera Wang dress from the same store a few weeks back and really liked it. So I tried it on, and showed MIL, who said I must get it. This was the day before Easter. Easter morning when I came to breakfast showered but still in PJ's--I wear dressier clothes when we go to D's parents' church, so I put them on a the last minute--I realized D's mom was wearing her dress that "matched" mine (different color and neckline and waist, but same pattern and fabric and overall look). So when it was time to dress, I decided to wear the new one instead of the outfit I had brought for Easter, and I was so glad I did. I had to borrow black heels from MIL, and black sheer nylons too--how many years since I have worn THOSE?!--but with my hair back in a low twist and a new black 3/4 sleeve cardigan we also got the day before (also on clearance) I looked really nice. Not necessarily like me, if you know what I mean, but very elegant and dare I say pretty (those colors are good on me). : )

But my MIL was so pleased that I wore the new dress she had picked out and bought me for Easter, and that I looked like someone she would be glad to be seen with at church, and I think she secretly liked that we were kind of matching, which is like something you do with a daughter or your BF when you are in middle school. So I did not care that the dress was not really me, or that I was wearing nylons--it was all totally worth it just to bond a little with D's mom.

too small of a pic, I know, but the only one I could find online
of the Simply Vera dress, from Kohls. This is the style of mine, but the color of MIL's

So this was a case in which I did not need the dress, so could bemoan the unnecessary expenditure (although on clearance the dress was less than $20 so not much to moan about there!) or the loss of precious closet real-estate--but while this dress was not a necessary addition to my wardrobe, I think it was a wise one. There are some things more important than $20 and one more hanger in the closet.

2 comments:

  1. I think we actually have a really similar fashion sense! I love all your new stuff!

    I just decided I'm mostly going to stick to tunic-y/loose style tops, cardigans/sweaters, skinny jeans and boots (um, summer will be semi-similar, just more summery ;)

    I'm just NOT comfortable in skinny jeans and skin tight shirts anymore...used to be...now? not so much, hehe!

    I think my mom-style has kicked in a bit more lately! I still want to be stylish...but realistic and comfy as well!

    I can't wait until my shopping trip next month :D

    I'm still going to forever 21, lol...but I have a new love for Kohls and JC Penney :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, pretty much from now on when I shop at a department store it will be Kohls--the one store where I seem to actually find cute, reasonably well-made clothes at good prices.

    But I gotta say, my heart belongs to etsy.

    Yeah, I just have no patience these days for either frump or being impractical/uncomfortable, so these clothes work well for being a mom but hopefully also looking like one with a life outside of motherhood, you know what I mean?

    The only downside--DH does not like loose tops and empire waist things. He says they look like maternity clothes. Sigh. So I have worn form-fitting things for years and years. . . but to be honest am tired of always having to be conscious of sucking in the (4) baby belly. As long as the tops can fall straight down from the chest and I wear them with skinny jeans or leggings they are slimming and don't look like maternity clothes (at least to me!).

    And when I say skinny jeans, I just mean cut skinny around the leg, NOT tight. Let's just get that straight. ; )

    When you do shop, I hope your blog about it--it will be fun to see what you come up with. : )

    ReplyDelete