words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday morning, crying as usual

When I did my list(s) a week or so back, of things you might not know about me, I should have mentioned that I cry. I cry whenever I am moved,* or when God is moving in me. Which is pretty much a given any Sunday morning.

This morning it was while singing this song:

In Christ Alone

Lyrics by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fulness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.


I tried to find a youtube version to share, in case some of you don't know the melody, which is really beautiful. But, frankly, most of them were just too cheesy to bear. I wish I could share it with you the way they play it at Vintage Faith--no embellishments, no forced emotive surges. So the best version I found online has weird images from The Passion of the Christ, but straightforward singing--so if you want a full church version, turn off your monitor and just listen. : )



And if you ever visit Vintage, look at the back of the sanctuary for the tallish, brown-haired woman crying. That will be me. Stop and say hi! ; )



*no, really, it is not just at church. I cry pretty much anytime I am in a good conversation with women too. And when I'm swaping God stories with women--there's no hope. Can any of my friends IRL gimme me a witness?

6 comments:

  1. I am the same exact way. I cry at least once every Sunday during the worship music. During baptism services when people give their testimonies - forget about it. I'm a mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get very emotional! Our hearts are close to our eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song brings the tears for me, too! And, I am not a very teary person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone- I do that too! A lot of my teary moments seem to be related to music, church and my kids. I almost lost it Sunday when S was singing with me in the choir, which would have been really bad timing because it was a small choir that day- just the two of us!

    I think it must run in our family, because our little sister has told me the same thing. She also told me she'd rather feel too much and cry, than not feel anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought it was just me!

    Actually, I have maybe seen only one other person cry at church before, so if there are other cryers, they hide it well. Me, I have tears streaming down my face, pooling under my chin into big drops that then splash down on my clothes. . . I am not blubbering, but I am way more than tearing up!

    And when I was younger, I used to be really embarassed about it, because I thought if people saw me cry they must think I have some huge sin in my life that I am at that moment repenting of. You know, the town slut or a closet drunk or something. Those sins must be REALLY big to warrant those tears streaming down!

    Now, I don't even think about what anyone else might think, and will go up and say hi to strangers afterwards even!

    But I have not worn mascara in YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do bring sunglasses to church sometimes or bobs shoulder or hide behind my hair but i cry all the time too! So if you ever see me in sunglasses at unusual times... you know!

    ReplyDelete