words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Great Purge of May, Pt. 1

So far:

To toss/recycle:
3 paper girl-decorated Egyptian masks from an awesome B-day party
1 necklace made in kindergarten
1 prewriting from our completed poetry books (lots of pages I won’t count individually, although I could)
1 old broken computer monitor that has been sitting by the front door for weeks, needing to be taken to the e-waste collection site
1 bag of computer parts also needed to be e-wasted

And I tossed at least 8 things into the trashcan meaning to go back and write them down later but forgot to do so before DH emptied all the trash last night, so you’ll just have to trust me on this one. ; )

To give to Goodwill:
2 baby sleepers
1 pair baby pjs
1 green baby GAP turtleneck (worn by all 4 kids!)
1 gray mohair cardigan (hand-me down this winter, too itchy)
1 white girl summer top
1 box of CD’s (if I get desperate to make the 100 I will go back and count each individually!)

To share with friends at church (favorite/special things):
2 pair baby socks
1 pink top
1 pair yellow/white handmade bloomers
1 cute flower top
1 girl dress and overapron made by Mom

To Freecycle:
1 worn out ski goggles (and they already have a taker on freecycle!)
1 plastic soap holder
1 exersaucer (been in the kitchen for a year!)
1 navy pair girl tights
1 striped girl dress with 1 matching tights
1 play dress with 1 matching leggings
1 pair boots
2 pair girl pjs
1 pair brown girl capris
1 pair red girl jeans
1 girl turtleneck
1 pair girl socks
1 vintage girl sweater
1 girl cropped hoodie

To give back to family:
1 cute but impractical winter jacket
1 cute but impractical boy winter jacket
1 vintage toy that I am too scared to let my kids play with

To sell on Ebay:
4 pair girl Hanna Andersson and Oilily tights
1 gorgeous Oilily girl dress I am so sad to part with!
3 Oilily girl tops
1 gorgeous red girl top

To give back to our school charter:
1 Lewis & Clark game
1 large bag of posterboard we don’t need anymore

And I am FINALLY mailing mom a box of clothes needing her expert mending that has been sitting on top of The Pile for months! So sorry, Mom!

And I have a bag of toys waiting to be counted, but it is all crappy stuff I snuck into the bag without the kids seeing, and I can’t spread it out and count it without them seeing until I get them all playing outside! ; )

So, the overall total so far:

FIFTY-SEVEN!!!!

I am a little over halfway to my goal already!


All the clothes listed are too small for Happy, or there are two things that still fit Merry but we are choosing to share them with a Missionary family in China who we are friends with who just emailed saying they need clothes in Merry’s size for their own 7 yr old daughter. But I have been weeding out the clothes, so we don’t have practically anything we are not going to need for Happy. . .

OK, I know selling things on Ebay does not technically count as getting them out of here, since it really means I will be sticking the things into a bin under the house until it is the right season to sell them. But they are out of the house proper, and that counts for now!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome job!

    Now I have the sudden urge to purge...hehe! Okay, I'm off to find stuff to get rid of! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!? No picture of the kindergarten necklace???

    I'm envisioning red yarn with macaroni on it? Am I close?

    Hee hee hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great! What dress and apron that I made are you passing on? Maybe one of the ways that you can help when you are here is help us get rid of things in prep for our downsizing. Of course, we won't be able to do everything right now because we won't know where we are moving to, but I would love to empty the attic. I need to be getting rid of stuff in my sewing room, also. Ugh! After cleaning out my mother's house twice and daddy's parents home, I had fully intended to stay here until you carried me out. I was going to let you girls clean out this house:) Maybe we can clean out some in the basement, too, when you are here this summer:) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree, thanks for the impetus!

    Stacy, I wish it was something that, um, "cute." No, our beloved Mrs. Riddick is into clay, so the kids are always making clay sculptures, stepping stones, and in this case clay necklace pendants. A ceramic shamrock which a) is as big as my outspead hand, b) has those deadly rough edges resulting from no adult showing the children to smooth their poked through string holes c) was not even made by my daughter, since she was sick that day. At the end of the year when they were doling out the classroom decorations to each child artist, M did not have a St. Patrick's Day necklace, so the teacher gave her the one made by a girl who moved away. Thanks. ; ) But this made it easier for Merry to part with it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, it is the Christmassy cream dress with little red and green flowers that has the dark green fine cord jumper over--the one you made for Sunny and was worn by all three girls. : ) She wore it all winter but it will not fit her next year, so I am going to take it to a "Stuff Swap" that a bunch of us families are planning on having at church. It would be fun to see someone else wear and enjoy it!

    Yes, Mom, I would love to help you go through things in the attic, basement, whatever. I do enjoy it, and giving away things feels so good--I hope it would give you a release from pressure too. : )

    And maybe I'll sneak off with a few treasures . . . ; )

    ReplyDelete