words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, May 21, 2010

Dinner, Friday

Thank you so much for the encouraging and helpful comments on yesterday's desperate post, ladies. I appreciate it!

Susan hit upon a point that is truly central to my problem, and which I have been attempting to remedy for a loooooong time: starting the "evening routine" at 4:00. I used to do this, from about seven years ago until sometime in the past year, and it worked out great, just like Susan's comments demonstrate. I don't know when I stopped or why--although I am sure I have not resumed that good lifehabit because of that big ol' PROCRASTINATION--and that is one HUGE part of my current unhappy daily state.

Stacy, in case you did not figure it out already, you are one of my inspirations for doing this!

And everyone, it really is working--this whole accountability thing. Because I SO did not feel like cooking tonight, being lazy and thinking of all sorts of things I could be researching online instead of cooking, and not feeling well to boot, even though I had eaten less than an hour previously. But knowing I would have to confess to you all what scrounge food I gave my children to approximate a meal got me up off my butt and into the kitchen.

So, tonight I came up with:

"homemade" tomato soup (I use an enormous can of tomato sauce I can get at Costco for something ridiculous like $1.88 and then add lots of lowfat milk, a little organic cane sugar--not nearly as much as most people use--and lots of pepper, and sometimes a little dried parsley.)

served with garlic bread (not whole grain, but the artisian kind with cloves of roasted garlic throughout--just spread with butter and toast openface in oven--mmmmmmmm)

and a romaine lettuce salad with fresh tomato (sadly redundant, but tasty) and cucumber and one of the only salad dressings I ever buy at the store, Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar.

and milk.


OK, so again, not great--lots of carbs and little protein. But I managed a lettuce SALAD, which I have not done for months. I know, you think so highly of me now, but after I spend all my time chopping veggies for the main course, I usually so not interested in chopping up a salad.

BUT I COOKED.

AND there was a SIDE DISH!

AND part of the meal was RAW!

And the kids had fresh pear at lunch, so don't think I am neglecting fruits. (And hey, tomato is a fruit after all!)

Can you tell I'm trying to pump myself up? Sheesh!

But there you go--two days, two dinners.

Oh, and in case anyone was interested, last night's asian-ish soup was spicy and yet did not have enough body--It was probably fine until I added the extra water with the rice, but the rice absorbs so much broth even when it is already cooked. . . So I should have put in some veggie bullion when I added the water to the sauted veggies. And I did not put in enough kale--I forgot how much it cooks down!

And on a final all-things-about-cooking-at-home note: today's post over at Fake Plastic Fish mentions a book some of you who are on the same frugal/healthy cooking challenge might find interesting, and they are giving away a copy!

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Your ability to come up with meals is fantastic! I've never made tomato soup so I would love your recipe. I wouldn't even know how to guess on amounts!

    Yeah, internet guilt is a good motivator ;)

    Keep up the good work!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, here is DH's mom's tomato soup recipe:

    Use big can of tomato juice (the kind without anything else added)

    Start the tomato juice warming in a pot on the stovetop.

    In a separate small bowl, whisk together 5 tablespoons corn starch (or flour), 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk.

    (The proportions are supposed to be one cup of this milk mix for each 2 cups of tomato juice)

    Stir the milk mix into the warmed tomato juice slowly, and then warm through, but be sure not to boil.

    OK--now this is NOT the way I make the soup, I just thought you might like this version, since it is similar to the Campbells canned tomato soup, which everyone likes.

    The way I do it is so much easier:

    HUGE industrial can of tomato sauce--in a pinch I have warmed up several smaller cans out of the pantry, but the bigger the can the cheaper the cost and the more leftovers! Warm in a big pot on the stove. Add milk to whatever consistency you like! Add just a little sugar--I probably add only about 1/4 cup for the whole pot--and I add lots of ground pepper and sometimes a little parsley or basil. But don't add too much basil, or basil and oregano together and certanly don't add onion or garlic powder or it ends up tasting like spaghetti sauce! (then again, some people might like it better that way!)

    There is no need to add salt, since the canned tomato sauce already has a lot of salt (at least to someone who does not routinely cook with it).

    My mom has told me that I should warm up the milk/mix first and then add the tomato juice/sauce to it slowly, or the acidic tomato juice will curdle the milk. And true, sometimes there are miniscule little white flecks in the soup, which might be what she is talking about. But it still tastes good, so I don't mind.

    BUT be sure NOT to let the soup boil once the milk is added, because then it will make larger curds that you can feel on your tongue. Still perfectly edible, but not as nice a texture.

    So, there you have it! Tomato soup 101. : )

    ReplyDelete