words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, January 18, 2013

The Big List, Jan. 2013


(too perfect, Jessica!)


The Big List of Things That Must Be Done


School:
--State-required narrative essay--Sunny, Merry, and Happy
--Begin unit on California--start making unit folders
--Write out Vintage Homeschool Book of Months project--and post on The World is Our Classroom
--Write out "              "           "My Big Backyard" project--and post on The World is Our Classroom
--Email photos of homeschool activities to friend
--plan math parties
--plan next Vintage Homeschool gathering

Home:
--Go through bags of old papers currently hidden in a bin in the shower room
--Deep clean shower room
--Clean off and reorganize shower room shelves
--Go through and reorganize bathroom cupboards
--?Paint bathroom cupboard?
--Deep clean bathroom
--Repair broken support in upholstered bench in living room
--Go through filing cabinet
--Find homes for new Christmas things
--Clean off other bookcase
--Deep clean high shelves around house
--Good dusting of whole house
--Take photos of artwork so can throw away

Other:
--Package to mail to in-laws
--Mail movie to friend we borrowed it from
--Mail thank-you notes to family
--Start listing and delivering freecycle items
--Skype with friend in England
--Have a phone date with girlfriends
--Make playdates with friends we have not seen in ages
--Bake something with the flour and sugar that's been sitting on the hutch for several weeks--then put away properly
--Go to UPS Store to make copies for homeschool
--Eat Hide in the freezer all the remaining Christmas chocolate


Computer research/shopping:
--Choose location for hanging of backpacks, choose hooks and hang
--?New hinges for closet door?
--Clock for kids' bedroom
--rug for under bench (for muddy boots)

Those are the things that most need attention--that are creating clutter, or hindering schooling, or adding psychological stress.  So while there are plenty more things that need doing around here, these are the things I need to do, and that I am having a tendency to procrastinate.  Some of them will only take about 15 minutes, some will take hours and lots of preparation.  But I sincerely hope to complete them all by the end of the month!

So, did you come up with a list?  Even just one or two things that you realize you have been procrastinating and want to just go ahead and get done already?  Even if you only have one thing that feels like it is hanging over, and then you do it--whoo-hoo!  Please do share in the comments, so we can celebrate with you!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I am semi afraid…I'll try.

    For my little paid job:

    TO DO:
    Print out end of year donation letters and address labels
    Enter and mail deposits sitting on my desk - cut check for a luncheon happening soon
    Create financial statements for board meeting in two weeks.

    HAVE DONE:
    created the list and mail merge of all 2012 donations



    My non paid children's museum job:

    TO DO:
    Interview and engage a CPA firm
    Go through 6 years of receipts at match up to expenses…pray..pray missing ones will show up
    Create financial statements
    Create budget for this year
    Research potential sales tax impact for future gift store/rentals as requested by city
    That's all I am willing to think of right now.

    HAVE DONE:
    meet with potential volunteer for finance committee
    go through 6 years of receipts and bank statements and order and put each year in own folder

    House/errands:

    TO DO:
    recover chest in living room from fabric I have had for two years
    paint brass fireplace black…have had supplies for 3 years
    pick out new back door to be installed next week
    put away hanging clothes on on the chest at the end of my bed
    stash too small kids clothes in crawl space
    deep clean kids bathroom…actually make them clean it first and then finish it
    Buy two birthday presents for kids parties

    HAVE DONE:
    thoroughly clean, gut, purge and reorganize Lauren's room
    thoroughly clean, gut, purge and reorganize Julia's room - she did a lot herself!

    Church:

    TO DO:
    email office about small sabbatical I am taking from choir
    get new music for kindergarten choir and have it ready to teach by Wed.
    attend "family meeting" about future of church and decide once and for all what our future is there.

    Other this I really want to get done but some are not a high priority:

    TO DO:
    think of a present for Julia
    Make valentine heart pillows for the girls
    Play my cello
    Go through my recipes and make list of reciepes that can be in the oven/crockpot for at least an hour so I can plan my meals when I am out taking the girls to lessons.
    Get a guidebook for Rome and start looking forward to my trip there later this year.

    Hmm - I think I will stop there. I hope this has motivated me some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that is quite a list! And it looks like not only do most of those things NEED to be done, but they also have deadlines. So I hope you do get motivated! As I share my victories, please feel free to do the same!

    It was also fun to read your list because I got a picture into your world at the moment. And the things you value!

    You do realize you are one of the things on my list--call girlsfriends included you. : ) So, one of these days you will be hearing from me--and it will be soon since I'm not procrastinating now! Until then, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete