words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas in Photos, 2012

A quick recap of Christmas in Chico, with photos:


MIL encouraged us to get by the tree on Christmas Eve day, for an impromptu family portrait.


Me taking the opportunity of DH having our camera out to get a pic of me in my new finery: my boots, my new earrings, and the new top and scarf I bought during my birthday retail adventure with my dear Becky.  And me daring to wear my one pair of skinny jeans--hand-me-downs from MIL--without something long over them. Ta-da!  Gotta love the kids already delving under the tree to hunt for presents. ; )


--As I have already mentioned, we had a lovely time, probably the best we have ever had.

--MIL initiated a family reading of the Christmas story from the Bible on Christmas Eve.  This is the first time we have ever done this at their house, and it was full of meaning.





--MIL also really showed me that she heard me when it came to the presents.  She and I had been emailing and communicating for a month or two on the main gifts for the kids and for DH, and so had bought things we could actually use, or that we both (and DH too) thought the kids would really get enjoyment out of.  I think we actually brought home less quantity of presents than in previous years, which is great in itself--but each gift showed a lot of thought and desire to share enjoyment, which is the whole point anyway.


A quick gathering of Oma and Opa and the kids in front of the fireplace on Christmas morning.




--MIL also was so thoughtful in her gifts to me, encouraging me to pick out things I actually wanted.  We went shopping the day before Christmas to get a few last-minute things, and I saw this sweater dress and actually liked it, and she liked it, and she urged me to get it with discount coupons she had, and so I did, and she wrapped it up and put it under the tree, and after I opened it I wore it the rest of Christmas Day, which I knew she would like.  : )  And look--I'm wearing it with the Trade As One scarf she bought me as an early Christmas present back in November!  And with the new boots she bought me for my birthday!  So that's why I had DH take photos of me in my new MIL-gifted finery there at their house--so she would know how much I appreciated each thoughtful gift.  And so I could share them with you all!

Our crew hanging out (literally!) with two of their cousins on Oma and Opa's back patio.

--We got to spend some good quality time with two of DH's cousins and their kids.  They are really nice people who we engage with as friends as much as family, so we always enjoy seeing them.  It was really fun, too, to see our kids playing and hanging out together, since all our families live at least several hours from one another and we don't usually see each other more than once a year.



We went on a walk with some cousins in the big park there in Chico, which is right across from DH's parents'  house--and came upon a tree decorated with handmade upcycled ornaments.  What a fun bit of unexpected beauty.  A fitting metaphor for our entire Christmas visit.




4 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a good time with hubby's family. Of course it makes me a little jealous, too:) I am so glad you were able to be here last June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mother, I wish we were not so far away either! But we just cherish the times we do see you all the more. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! Your family is beautiful! I'm so glad you had such a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great family photo.

    I adore the scarf!!! You look beautiful, as usual :)

    And it's nice to have a picture of your MIL to put a face to the name. She looks nothing like the picture I had created of her in my head.

    Looks like you had a lovely Christmas. The kids are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete