words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, January 31, 2013

one small anti-procrastination success

The cupboard in the bathroom, before:


We have not done too much to the bathroom since we bought the house 8 years ago--there have just been too many other things that needed attention first. So I did give a fresh coat of paint to the things that would be seen, but did not do anything about the insides of the cupboards.  (This one and the one above the toilet.)  But then over the years, as DH and his dad worked on leveling the house and everything started shifting a little, the door on this cupboard came to a point where it would no longer stay closed--it's natural resting position was halfway swung open.  And that half-open door would then be completely hindering the doorway--many a time I quickly pushed past the long curtain that serves as a door and ran with a painful smack into that open cupboard door.  So for years that cupboard door was held closed by Smiley's little training potty.  In fact, the little potty hung out in the bathroom being useful in that way for many months after Smiley stopped using it.

And of course when I got into purge mode, and started casting a critical eye around the house, that dusty little potty was one of the first things that needed to go.  But of course, we could not get it gone without a fix on the door.  So I asked DH just to take the door off the cupboard.  Good enough!

Maybe I'll put up a cute curtain to hide the stuff we put on the shelves.  Probably won't.  And it will still look nicer this way than it did before! 

--getting something we don't need out of the house--CHECK
--making something around the house more functional--CHECK
--making something around the house less hideous--CHECK

--doing all three in one fell swoop--BONUS

Cupboard after:


(It is actually the same periwinkle as the walls, the different angle of light just changes the way it looks)

Looks like the floor needs a new coat of paint too.  These painting fixes are not supposed to be permanent--I am still yearning (and waiting patiently) for my little bathroom remodel!  But they are making me happy, so they are totally worth it.  I already had the paint, so it was just a matter of two afternoons with good weather and some free time--my kind of project.

Don't forget, please tell me about the things you are crossing off your lists!  I want to cheer you on! : )



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You continue to be an inspiration! I love the color, and what a difference it made! It would make me happy too!

    ReplyDelete