words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Procrastinating Anti-Procrastination

It's Anti-Procrastination Week Day Hour. . . ok, it will be any minute now.

I started out this week with BIG dreams. A BIG list of things to tackle. And already things have gone HUGELY awry.

The need started last year. . . and since I started this post earlier today and am just now sitting back down to the computer, I guess I've been procrastinating writing about my procrastination too.

But here's the thing--tomorrow I'll finish the original post and tell you all about my desperate need to get going on all manner of things in my life, which is why I originally wanted this to be Anti-Procrastination Week.  Because I had every intention of writing today, and then even DOING stuff that I have been putting off.

But then, when I took the kids to their music lessons. . . we got out of our shady, cold yard and realized it was a gorgeous day.  It must have been in the mid 60's, or even low 70's.  The sun was shining, and there was not even a cold breeze--it just felt so luscious to be outside, and so when I picked the kids back up at the end of lessons, I took them to the beach.  You must know at this point that we rarely go to the beach.  There's so much mess involved, it is usually time consuming--kids have to bathe when we get back, sand gets everywhere in the car and if I don't make them change clothes it always ends up in my bed (which is of course the sofa), no matter how well I thought we brushed and shook off, etc.  And taking them to the beach also keeps me from being productive.  So today the idea was just to go down and then back up the steep cliff stairs, getting a little fresh air and sunshine and exercise. . . but it was so beautiful and without a breeze the temperature was perfect without any jackets. . . so we spent the next hour and a half there.  We ran, we played, we just enjoyed the weather.  We probably got our first sunburns of the year, since I manage to always do that in Jan. or Feb.  I have SO many things to do here at home. . . hanging out at the beach was definately not on the agenda. . . .

But remember the old saying "Make hay while the sun shines"?  Well, for several months now, I have had in my head a tweaked version, specific to living on the Bay--"Make play while the sun shines."  I realized, as I sat contentedly there in the warm sunshine on a big driftwood tree, watching the waves and my frolicking children, that I made that phrase up because I tend to be lazy about getting us all out side when the weather is great.  I have a habit of letting my own list of things I want to accomplish, or even school I want the kids to complete, take priority over going to playgrounds or the beach.  But the sunshine and fresh air and exercise are GOOD things.  We need those, for healthy bodies, healthy spirits.  I want to give them priority.  So today I actually took advantage of the Good thing being offered me, and did not procrastinate about it.

And hey, I finished this post!  So I guess that qualifies as a successful Anti-Procrastination day after all. ; )

Start thinking now--who wants to join me tomorrow?  I'm making it official!!!

2 comments:

  1. If I were in your shoes I would do the same exact thing. It's 25 degrees here and dreary out, as it has been for over a month now, so if I had a sunny day in the low 70's I would drop every plan we had to go outside (if a beach was involved I wouldn't even think twice)! The chores and tasks will be there tomorrow, but that sunshine may not (and may also continue to hide for the next month). Take advantage of it while you can. I'm so jealous!

    I'll join you tomorrow. I have three or four projects that I can only do in the evenings and that I keep putting off because I'm lazy and would rather just lie down on my couch and zone out once the kids are in bed. I'm running out of time to get them done before the baby is here, so tomorrow sounds like the perfect day to just get it over with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right choice. "Make play....." I like it:) I just looked out the window here in Tuscaloosa, and it is snowing:) We found a home yesterday that we would like to buy. We are now waiting for the realtor to call us back to learn if the owners would be open to an offer since we can't close on it until June when our house closes. More later:)

    ReplyDelete