words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fun on the Web Weds: #3--meet my new blog

I know, I know.  You're thinking, why on earth does that woman need another blog?!  It's not like she's keeping this one up very well!

So, here's the story:

You know how I started exploring the world of Steampunk here in some fashion posts a while back?  Well, thanks to Susan for showing me how to look at my blog stats, over time I noticed more and more views of those posts.  Most of those hits come from Google image searches--esp. for corsets.  Eh, that's fine.  There's only one person in this world who I am not sure I want to find this blog, and she sure won't do so by googling "steampunk pirate corset."  ; ) 

Except over more time I noticed a huge jump in the numbers of visitors to this blog via those posts--we're talking a total of 1,539 views of the post on accessories for the waist, and so far 679 views of the post on women's steampunk looks (and 18 of them today!).  Purely by accident I figured out that those posts had been linked to at least one Steampunk message board, and one random online clothing store!  All of a sudden, it felt like there were too many strangers coming by, too many random people (from all over the world!) who would search for and click on an intriquing Steampunk image--and find themselves unexpectedly not in a Steampunk world, but a shocking place of pastel polka-dots and bright-eyed kids and talk of adoption and menstruating and God. . . ACK!  I almost feel sorry for them. But mostly I just started to feel a little creeped out.  Why would I want to be luring to my cozy little blog people who didn't mean to find me, who won't want to be here?

I really enjoy thinking and writing about Steampunk, and hope to continue the series--I have so many fun and beautiful and interesting things to share, for little kids and brave husbands and for aesthetic pleasure around the home.  I am getting excited just thinking about it.  But I decided I needed a different place to post those things--someplace more appropriate, more safe. 

And that leads us to my new blog: Minnie Zephie's Steampunk Treasure Trunk!

I'm still tweaking the blog, but have copied all my Steampunk posts over there, and it is where I will write about Steampunk in the future.   None of you have to follow me there--you don't have to pretend you enjoy Steampunk!  This is just an FYI, esp. since I will be removing the Steampunk posts from this blog.

Minnie Zephie was the mother of my mother's mother.  (Did I get that right, Mom?)  I have always wanted to use that name for an online children's boutique--I had envisioned an etsy-ish space long before there was such a thing!--but recognize that I probably never will. Hmmm, unless it is a Steampunk boutique?  ; )  So finally I found a way to use that favorite name in a space that benefits from nods to the long-gone. 

So, please do stop by and take a look, when you get the chance.  But again, no need to linger.  You'll know where to find it if you ever get the urge.  : )






3 comments:

  1. Minnie Zephie might be the coolest name ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right. It was my grandmother's name. I wish you could have known her but she died when I was in 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete