words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

it's all greek to me

Tonight I thought I would check out what's happening on facebook for a few minutes, and oddly enough two of my fb friends were part of posts that were a bizarre mix of English and, well, gobbeldy-gook.  At least to me.  The first was a Romanian woman who has been living with my parents while in grad school.  The second was a friend commenting on someone else's photos. I don't know why those posts suddenly caught my eye, but thanks to Google translate, and good guessing, I figured out what languages were being spoken (Romanian and Haitian Creole). 
It worked fairly well with the mash of Romanian and English, which turned out to be a pretty normal conversation, at least for those who are bi-lingual and flip back and forth with ease.  But the Google translator turned out to be not much help at all when trying to make heads or tails of the Haitian Creole:


speaker 1: pa fose neg la non frem, Li diw li pa dako hahah

translation:  do not force the guy name FREM, he say he do not agree hahah.

speaker 2: Dyeddddddddd ou a ap tounen wi poze non. mwen men'm mwen pranl kreyolman, lol

translation:  Dyeddddddddd you will be asked back name.  I men'm I pranl kreyolman, lol.

speaker 3: Bon saw gen laaaaaaaaa wap bay neg la presyon an.

translation: Saw you give the guy a good laaaaaaaaa pressure.

speaker 4:  kon l metel deyo la pranl pou kol

translation: hence it is mutually outside pranl to neckline.


Uh, huh.  Pretty much even more confused now. 

(But imagining all kinds of things this conversation could mean--Creole gangster talk?  It doesn't sound wholesome, that's for sure.)

(Then again, take normal wholesome conversation minus spellcheck and posted in fragments of thought and taken completely out of any context--who knows what my fb posts read like in their translator!)

1 comment: