words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sleepytime music for you, Pt 1


Some nights when the kids have a hard time settling down we play some of our favorite gentle songs--and I thought some of you moms might like these, most of which you probably have never heard.  We don't do annoying children's music in this house, and esp. since we play the bedtime music from our computer in the living room, the songs have to be ones enjoyed by both children and adults.

First, the songs that are not really bedtime songs, but which my girls fell in love with from a CD compilation made for me by my dear Rosa--thank you, friend!

Strong Hand of Love, by Bruce Cockburn

I Haven't Seen This Day Before, by the Innocence Mission

Your Love Broke Through, by Keith Green (this one I was thrilled and amazed to see in Rosa's mix, since I loved the Phil Keaggy version when I discovered it way back in college.  SO CHEESY, yes.  SO 70's, yes.  Still, I LOVE THIS SONG.  So do the kids when they are getting sleepy.)

Then we move on to some more traditional sounding bedtime favorites in our house:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow, by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. 

Moon River, also by the Innocence Mission (from the dreamy children's lullaby album "Now the Day is Over"--again, thank you Rosa!)

Butterfly, by Lisa Loeb (from the lovely children's album "Catch the Moon")

Bedtime Round, by Tom Chapin.  (The only version I could find on youtube has a second song after which I had never heard--the first song is the one we enjoy so much)


These are just a few--I'll post a few more another night.  What are your favorites?  Please do tell!  We would love to listen to your family's favorites and add them to the playlist. : )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the links!! We have noise machines and boring instrumental lullaby CDs. These are much more fun!

    ReplyDelete