words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fun on the Web Weds: faces, eyes

I have always been interested in old photographs, and especially the faces, and eyes.  Show me photos of soldiers in uniform from the Civil War, or one of the World Wars, I will find myself staring at the various faces. Wondering what the person was feeling, thinking.  My parents have old family photos lining the stairwell from the first to second floors of their house, and I spent many a quarter hour of my childhood  gazing at all the faces, so familiar and yet so mysterious--my ancestors, and yet strangers.  

I might have been in middle school when I saw this famous photograph in a textbook; it was the first time I think it really hit me that history was made up of individual people who had feelings and reasons for why they did what they did.  It fascinated me:


Recently I stumbled upon this fascinating collection of phorographs, taken  by the New South Wales (Sydney, Australia) police department between 1912 and 1948.  Oh, the faces--and the stories to imagine, especially in the people's clothes, in their expressions, in the occassional repetition of a face. . .








3 comments:

  1. Lisa, i love these. Beautiful.. i feel the same way about old photos and faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great photos. Thanks for sharing.

    And I love the new photos of your kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked them!

    I forgot to say you can double-click on any of the photos to see them bigger, which I HIGHLY recommend--so you can really see those faces and eyes!

    Thanks, Jessica--I loved those old pics of the girls, just taken after church one Sunday--and they looked GREAT against the blog background--but they are now so old they are no longer accurate. These are an odd assortment, but each one gives a good glimpse of each child's personality, which I love! : )

    ReplyDelete