words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Snippet: Etsy ESL

As I have mentioned before, etsy is my mental get-away while nursing at the computer. And since I signed up to receive their email newsletters, about once a day there is an email in my inbox featuring a category of items for sale on the site. Which means I pretty much have a daily etsy habit. Yes, etsy is one of my guilty pleasures. Luckily, I don't have much time to sit looking or much money to spend, so it is a pretty harmless pleasure. ; )

And honestly, at the moment it is also an important consumer resource for our home. It has opened up worlds of clothing design and natural products and green consumer options for me. One of my goals for this year--well, for the rest of our consumer lives, but starting this year--is to buy things made in the U.S. of natural materials, without plastic packaging. From soaps and shampoo bars, to handmade wooden toys, to upcycled clothes, to plastic-free cleaning products to fair-trade gifts. Where do you find a good selection of such things? Well, ideally you can find the things you need locally, at the farmers' market or the occassional artisans' fair. But so far I don't know the best local resources for the things I want to buy--my local readers, I welcome all suggestions! So until I do find these things locally, I totally "heart" etsy. I have not bought much, but I have learned so much about what is available for when I do need to buy.

And it is so, so fun window shopping. The creativity astounds me.

So, there are a lot of things I have been wanting to show you all that I have found on etsy over the past couple of months. I'll slowly get around to them. : ) But in the meantime, I saw this the other night and it gave me a good chuckle. She appears to be a new seller on etsy, and, hailing from China, she is clearly not a native English speaker--and her butchering of the language is so poetic, and so mystifying, and so funny. This one and this one are good too--heck, all her listings are worth checking out.

Yet her clothes seem like they are most likely non-sweatshop, and they look well-made, and they are clearly well-designed. So I am going to check back in a few months to see if her clothes manage to sell despite the indecipherable listings.

"If you wear this dress is more surprised than me."

4 comments:

  1. I just checked out her site-great clothes, and I really enjoyed reading her comments! That will get me through the day with a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those clothes, and the descriptions are just delicious, aren't they? Some of the clothing reminds me of Fog Linen Work, a website I love, but which I stumble about with incomprehension, since most of it is in Japanese.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie! Nice to "see" you! : ) I am intrigued by the site you mention--will have to visit.

    ReplyDelete