words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, February 2, 2012

Smiley's big-boy haircut

I cut all the hair in our family, except my own.  (For me I splurge on the quarterly CostCutters visit--it is just too obnoxious trying to do a decent job on my own bangs.) Smiley has had two haircuts from me previously in his life, the first I think just over a year ago.  That first "real" haircut happened by accident; his bangs were in his eyes, so I intended just to trim them, but then had to trim around the ears too. . . but I hated to cut off the adorable curls in the back. . . and when it was all said and done I stepped back and gave a horrified cry, "I just gave my son a mullet!" 


After the shock wore off, he started to look pretty darn cute in it, actually.  Like an adorable little two-year-old boy should look (at least to my Central Illinois late 70's-early 80's memories of childhood ; ). But, alas, I am pretty sure this happened a year ago, at the same time that our computer crashed, and as far as I can tell, any pics of him in his first mullet are part of the data that was lost. 

Then I meant to give him a haircut this summer, before my family came out, and it just did not happen.  I was so crazy busy trying to get stuff done before they came, and the haircut was in the category of "would like to happen," and to be honest, I never quite made it out of the "I'll just die of embarassment if that is still like that when they get here" category.  (Thank you, family, for politely averting your eyes from some of the things that you would think any decent housewife/daughter/sister would have taken care of before such a monumental visit.  Sigh.)


My little tousled surfer boy.

But when my cousin Stacia's wedding came up in the Fall, I had to do something, and kinda just grabbed locks of hair and cut them off while we were walking out of the door.  Yes, it was that good.  But at least his hair was out of his eyes again (and I cut off some of the back, so there was no more outgrown mullet, blech) and so he did not look terrible for the wedding (and Disney!) photos:


But by the time the holidays came around, my little guy was looking pretty shaggy.  Below is the day we went to cut down our Christmas tree:


He's still so cute, of course. ; )  But I'm not a fan of long hair on boys, and had previously only been hesitant to go short for two reasons:  a) I had not wanted to lose the adorable baby curls at the back, and b) I did not want him to all of a sudden look like a big boy.  Yes, I confess, I did not want to lose my little  boy any sooner than I had to.  But with the pre-wedding haircut I had finally trimmed the curls in the back off, and it looked like they were not going to be growing back (sob), so there went that reason.  And he was looking like such a mophead, I knew it was time for the "big boy" haircut.


You're going to do what with those scissors? 

Just kidding.  Could not resist sticking in a random but adorable pants-on-the-head-while-on-the-potty pic.

And so, the day before we went up for Christmas with DH's parents, I cut Smiley's hair. And I was so pleasantly surprised to find that he did not look less like a toddler, but did look oh so much cuter!




Not bad for a scissor cut on a wiggly three-year-old.  Mom and Dad, these are the pics from when we were talking on the phone together, and I told you that Smiley got his phone and was pretending to talk to you too, next to me on the bed.  It was over the top adorable. 




Ohhhh, I love how his haircut shows off his sweet, oh-so-kissable cheeks!  And his hair off his forehead brings out his bright brown eyes. 

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.  I just can't get enough of my boy, and his haircut made him all the yummier.  : )

He is a blessing to my heart, even when he is being VERY "three," as we say, and I am always mindful to enjoy every moment I get.



8 comments:

  1. Boy cuts are so hard. I have messed my boys' heads up so many times trying to cut their hair and ended up having to shave them to fix it. We are currently trying to grow their hair out a little, since they've been shaved for the last few years, but I can't handle how shaggy and disheveled they look all the time. I'm thisclose to getting out the shears.

    But you did such a good job on his head! He looks like a little man (sorry - I know you don't want him to look grown up). And I agree that his eyes look really big and bright with the cut!

    And that picture on the potty is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot - I just cut my own hair for the very last time over the weekend. I just wanted a trim but ended up cutting off about 5 inches because it was crooked and I kept trying to even it out with a little more cutting. What a disaster! Cost cutters for me from now on too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie! I have to tell you, last weekend E decided that what she wanted for her birthday was to see Smiley again. A little out of our price range (esp considering I just bought 2 prom dresses and still have to pay for her class ring!)but it was a lovely thought. I think you did a great job with the haircut. I gave up cutting my girls' hair years ago- once they started to care about their appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the pictures because it helps to feel like I am apart of your family! I cut J's hair up until he graduated from high school. When he was little I always gave him a frozen treat. I guess that's as long as it took. He had multiple cowlicks in there! That was more of the problem. As a hs guy he had a pony tail and the baby curls were still there in a matted mess because it was never combed out until I trimmed it! Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, we have a good pair of electric clippers, so I plan on using those for at least some future haircuts, but I was worried he would be freaked out by the sound and then would wiggle and fight me--and WHAT a haircut that would be!

    Your boys' hair is pretty longish, so I see what you mean. How long were you planning on letting it get?

    At least 5 inches on your hair still leaves you a lot of hair. And it grows, right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Rebecca, that is so sweet of Emily! We will have to Skype or something so they can see each other. : ) And at least, Lord willing, we will get to see eachother this summer at Mom and Dad's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aunt Marty, I did not know you cut J's hair, but that makes sense, since you are so handy with scissors. : ) A popsicle is a great idea! At the moment a movie works, and I pick something he esp. will like. But in the summer a popsicle would be great, because then I could cut his hair outside and he would still be entertained and I would not have to worry about the hair inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's his sweet smile is what works, no matter what hair length. Of course, I could be a little prejudiced:) I cut your youngest sister's hair because I figured I could do as good a job on a moving body as a hairdresser would do:) I cut your dad's hair when we were ist married to save money. We were in college and dirt poor! Of course, it didn't take much skill to do a buzz cut:) Then when he started looking for a teaching job, we decided to let it grow out some. I then just tried to do what I saw hair dressers do on my head. I can't remember when I stopped cutting his hair. Your hair we let grow long. I must have cut the bangs, but I really can't remember. That was a little while ago:)

    ReplyDelete