words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

crying #3

#3
So, this one probably makes much more sense with the understanding that a) I cry at the drop of a hat, and b) yesterday I was unusually tired and emotional.

I have been researching potential materials for our Korea studies for a few weeks, and have became fascinated by North Korea.  I mean, the whole idea of that country is fascinating, esp. to us Americans--not only because we are all about freedom, and they are a completely closed-off totalitarian police state, but also because we Americans are their sworn enemy.  Hatred of American devils is part of the very core of their nation's ideology. 

So I have come across quite a few interesting materials on the topic of foreigners in North Korea in the past month. 

 This one did an excellent job of conveying subtleties of culture and thinking that kids would never appreciate, so don't be misled by its graphic novel format. 

A National Geographic special "Inside North Korea" was very powerful and--literally--eye-opening.  I highly recommend it.  (It's available as an Instant Viewing selection on Netflix--bonus!)


And then there is The Pyongyang Concert, also available through Netflix but only as a DVD  mailed to your home.  It was made to document a momentous occassion--when the New York Philharmonic was invited by the North Korean government to perform in its capital city.  The DVD has two parts--the full concert, and a documentary made about the overall experience of the concert.  (Be sure to select "english subtitles" on the documentary--you don't want to miss what the North Koreans are saying.) I watched the documentary a few days ago, and did not think I would watch the concert, since the documentary would likely give the highlights.  But after the documentary was so good it made me cry--several times!--I thought I would give a listen to the concert as well. 

So, yesterday morning while I ate breakfast, I was having such a hard time waking up without being cranky that I thought it might be a good time to watch some of the concert.  I thought the kids might like to listen to the music while they were doing their morning routines, and I would wake up more fully and be soothed by something beautiful. : ) 

And, once again, I found myself crying.  Oh, goodness--The Star Spangled Banner has never sounded so glorious, even after the Philharmonic did a beautiful, strong and respectful rendition of the North Korean national anthem.  And the faces of the people in the audience--I was riveted.  What are they thinking?  What are they feeling?  Is it safe for them to show pleasure, or is that dangerous?   Are they seeing something attractive in this presentation of their "enemies"?  Are they searching for meaning in the faces of the musicians as much as I am in theirs?  Why did they give a standing ovation for that one song--because it sounded warlike and proud, like the music of their own regime?  But then what did they make of the gentle and stirring traditional Korean melody that was presented so specially for them?  The young North Korean man up in the very back, who stood when no one else did, who clapped and waved all alone--what moved him to such recklessness?  Has his enthusiasm for this American spectacle hurt him or his family?

Anyway, it was all really good.  If you are interested in the topic, these are all very accessible things, and I think I appreciated the concert all the more for understanding some things I read in the book. 

---------------------------------------------------------
So, there you have it.  The big three reasons why I was crying yesterday. 

Who knows what will set me off tomorrow.  But I am sure it will not take much.




 

5 comments:

  1. I loved these posts. I can tell how big your heart is when you write about these topics that bring you to tears. Your passion shows through in your writing! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Jessica! Sometimes it feels weird to make the time to write, esp. finishing something I started earlier--like, ah, who cares anyway? I don't write half as much as I would like, partly because I get a little self-defeatist like that. So thanks for your kind words--glad to know someone enjoyed them. : )

    My heart probably is big, but I am also just sometimes a mess. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find music to be very moving, and am more likely to cry listening to music. But you're right, being tired does bring the emotions closer to the surface! Do you find that sometimes it's the little things that set you off, when you were ok handling bigger issues? I do. I'll have to check out that concert- sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right, Rebecca--sometimes little things seem to have a disproportionally big impact. But there are certain things that are bound to set me off--God moving my spirit, reading the Bible aloud to the kids, the plight of the world, music, people sharing their heart-moving stories with me. . . and sappy commercials. Go figure. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been reading about North Korea and learning about the persecution there. Voice of the Martyrs www.persecution.com has a little book that takes you through the history of the country by way of those Martyred for Christ. They have similar books for other countries as well. Some of what we've read has moved us to tears and really got us thinking about so many things.

    ReplyDelete