words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

adding to my taking away

This post is way overdue, for those of you interested in/participating in Lent this year.  Because remember on my last post how I said I was giving up those two things (sweets and grain-based carbs), but would gladly add more to the list if I felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit?

Well, the very next morning, I read something my blog-friend Jessica wrote, and the H.S. didn't nudge, so much as smack me upside the head.  Jessica wrote that she was giving up sweets too--and giving up yelling at her kids.  Oooooooohhhhhh.  Yes, that is the perfect thing to give over to God, and something I have been doing all too much recently (for about a week and a half).  Well, I've been doing a little yelling--but plenty more growling and scolding and fuming and lecturing and generally being a mother who is more than likely inadvertently propagating the whole negative home environment that she is upset with her kids for (supposedly) creating.

My wonderful kids, who have been so amazing in attitude since the New Year, have now for some reason fallen back into some of the negative patterns of last Fall (ugh) and one daughter in particular is all of a sudden being so rude and disrespectful, with her mouth especially, and so self-focused that she does not seem to see how she is treating me and others in our family.  And I have been reacting instead of responding, and it is just not pretty.  Basically it's like I have been on one big pity-party, because how can my darling children treat me like this, after all I do for them, wah wah wah.  I can get over the self-righteous pity part fairly easily--but seem to struggle with what to do instead.  It's like I am having a hard time knowing what a just yet loving, grace-filled yet firm response even looks like sometimes.

Here is a prime example, of a kind of situation that happens sometimes multiple times a day with that one child:
--we need to go somewhere.
--I give the certain child a friendly heads up a few minutes in advance, since she is happily engaged in some activity.
--I usually even give her a minute or two more than I said I would.
--I tell her nicely, "Ok, it's time to stop."
--child immediately starts whining and grumbling about having to stop, and complains I am making her stop at the absolute worst place (in the book, the game, etc.).
--I cheerfully remind her she knew she had to stop in a few minutes, so she could have chosen a better place to stop.
--she continues to fuss
--I firmly but still gently remind her of our family values in how children talk to parents.
--she interrupts me to argue back that she is not doing anything disrespectful, while the whole time her facial expression, body language, and tone of voice are distinctly telling me what she really thinks of me and what I can do with my family values.
--I gently remind her of whatever Biblical principles we are working on living out this week (from verses which I have carefully selected to fit the heart issues we all seem to need to work on), such as letting our gentleness be evident to all, speaking truth, honoring parents, being wise women/girls who build up their homes. 
--she interrupts me to continue arguing and fussing.
--I get firm and say, well, it does not matter if you feel like obeying, we have to be somewhere and if you do not get going you will end up with _______ negative consequence (natural consequences, such as missing breakfast, not having work done, etc), so time to hear me and obey even if you don't feel like it.
--she argues and fusses and insinuates that I am the one causing the problem, because after all she was perfectly happy doing her activity until I came along and spoiled everything.
--now she has pushed one of my buttons--I HATE being held responsible for something that was not my choice or that I had no power over.  Seriously--makes me all wild inside.  So I snap, and start the lecture about how disrespectful she is being, how she needs to take responsibility for her own choices and choose well, how it is NOT ok for her to treat her mother like this, how she is creating a negative environment for everyone and setting a terrible example for her younger siblings. . . you get the idea. 
--at this point typically she either starts pouting or flailing around in a fit of self-centered frustration and even yelling back at me how I don't understand. . .
--at which point I am likely to yell and give her a consequence, like a time out until she can change her bad attitude and turn things around.

Yes, I know: Teenagehood, here we come.

And yes, I am sure this kind of conversation (or breakdown of one) is very common in homes of pre-adolescent girls.  But it is quickly becoming a negative pattern that is played out over and over, just with different things setting off the problem, but always the same dynamics escalating it.  I want to get a grip on it now, so we have a better way of working through these conflicts before the adolescent hormones REALLY kick in.  I know parents have all kinds of different approaches to parenting teens, but one thing I have come to believe (and other parents of teens have confirmed): the whole rebellious teen thing is real, and is likely going to be a struggle, BUT all teens don't have to talk back, be disrespectful to their parents, etc.  Parents have a lot of choice about how they deal with such issues and what expectations they set, and how they walk along with their teens through their growing and learning without letting the teens fall into poor behaviours as a way of life.

From my perspective, as the parent I need to:
--hold her accountable to the truth of her actions/choices (such as not letting her speak lies)
--help her see the likely outcomes of both the wise and the foolish choices
--remind her of our family rules and expect her to follow them
--allow her to experience the negative consequences (both natural and logical) of bad choices
--model grace even under fire
--model self-control (and how to keep control when you are getting mad)
--model forgiveness, and how to seek restoration of right relationship, even if you don't quite feel like it

(And other things I am sure I will think of later that I will wish I had written)

But the ways I have been trying to do these things just don't seem to be working--or maybe it's just that I let them all fly out the window as soon as she pushes my button.  It is just hard for me in this particular kind of conflict respond with wisdom and grace all the way--because even when I start out all patient and firm and loving and just, she just argues and fusses and will. not. stop. until I start "making her" stop by fussing and arguing louder and stronger than she is!  I need to learn a better way of handling it, so that I am truly part of the solution and not part of the problem.

So, anyone who feels like they can offer advice, please feel free!  Um, please model gentle correction, though, ok? 

ANYWAY, I did not sit down to write that whole thing, because actually the girl in question was much better yesterday, still sassing with her body language and attitude at times, still not obeying well, but overall being a pretty nice kid to be around.  So this is really not a rant, but just a spelling out of something specific I am needing to work on--and can really, happily give over to God for Lent.  Even if I still struggle, I can do my best not to lecture or scold or yell.  I want to "Let my gentleness be evident to all [for] the Lord is near" (Phillipians 4:5)  And I want to be "The wise woman [who] builds up her house" and not the foolish woman who "with her own hands tears hers down" (Proverbs 14:1).  And I want  live out "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" (Proverbs 15:1).   All the verses the girls and I are trying to live out these past two weeks--but I can't expect them to, if I don't!

Lord, take this offering of my own self-focused negative words and teach me as You see fit this Lenten season!

That's it for now.  I'll let you know how it goes. ; ) 

And now I feel compelled to wrap this up with how much I love my kids and am so blessed by them:  the other night we went to a church event with a lot of families we did not know.  It was actually one of the most fun events I have been to in a long time, and it was at this HUGE house, and DH and I pretty much let our kids have the run  of it, and they played nicely with other kids, and were overall respectful of the home and safety and the toys and things there), and they spoke nicely with the adults and they ate the food that was before them, and they smiled and didn't make messes and didn't fuss, and overall made me SO HAPPY.  Not that my happiness depends upon my kids' behavior (ok, that's another concept I'm still working on), but when you have a "large" family and homeschool, people are always looking at what your kids do and judging you.  (Ok, at least I am sensitive to this.)  And that night, our kids made us look GOOD.  ; )

Hope you are all having a good start to your week! 



6 comments:

  1. Giving up anger/yelling is a great Lenten sacrifice and one I have made before (and am thinking of adding this year after this past weekend, ahem).

    As to the attitude, I'm sorry to say that this is not unusual, particularly for girls. We ran into the "time to stop" issue too, and tried various things but it came dowm to me telling the child that "your time is up, and we can do this my way or your way. Your way will mean that I carry you to that car like a toddler throwing a tantrum, and if I have to do that you will lose that book for 1 day". I used that toddler threat in other situations as well, as in "you are behaving like a tired toddler who needs a nap, so if you would like to go to bed right now we can arrange that". Once they realise you mean business they usually back down. It got to the point where all I had to do was ask the child quietly, "how old are you?" and they got the point. And I always gave my children chances to earn back what they had lost; we would have a talk about behavior and what was expected, and they knew if they were extra helpful and nice they could get a "reduced sentence". I wanted to reward good behavior as well as let them suffer the consequences of their actions. Having said that, there is no magic button to push for reversing behavior. Just be consistent and eventually they should realise that life is easier if you just behave!

    It just occurred to me that you might want to talk less when discussing behavior with said child; so long as she keeps you talking she is sort of getting her way because she is delaying doing what she doesn't want to do, and the longer she argues the madder you both will get. You mentioned the progression of your typical discussion. I think once you get firm that's it- no more discussion. Make your choice and suffer the consequences. I think it's important to stress that this is their choice, because life is full of good and bad choices and they need to understand how their choices can affect them. But also, kids this age are wanting to be in control, and in a way they are, they are in control of their own choices. It was hard for us to make that switch to asking our children, instead of telling them, to do stuff as they got older but we realised a lot of our problems were control issues. Once we gave them choices, things smoothed out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Rebecca. But you two have more girls than boys. G'ma's first encounter with her future husband was at 12 when she went to spend the night with her new High School Friend, Rosalie Lager. Daddy's parents were yelling at him because he had the typewriter in pieces and they were sure he would never get it back together again plus he needed to wash his face more because he had so many breakouts. Anecdote 2: Mom and I were always waiting for Dad to get dressed and ready to go, even for my wedding when my best friend's fiance stepped in and helped him with the stroller cummerbund as we waited...... He was a grown man. I was always ready to go to school before he was ready to get in the car. I thought for sure he was going to make me late many days!

    Fast forward to my days with kids. Nothing ever worked for J. He was never on time and we always found ourselves sitting in the car with U. P. honking the horn. K. was very relieved when she no longer had to be at his mercy for getting to high school on time. Driving off without him did nothing.

    He wrote papers by waking up in the middle of the night, writing them and then going back to bed for a quick nap if he could. We undid the cable at Thanksgiving when it was time for him to write his college entrance applications. Didn't work. They were all last minute. One he called U.P. at 4 something pm with "I need a ride to the post office NOW for the application is due today!" Being an hour away he was told to get moving.

    Katie's best fiends were twins. One always on time and the other ALWAYS late. They called it Kendall time and to this day give her an earlier time than anyone else.

    Seriously, I read an article after J. left the house that made immense sense to me and wish I had read it earlier. The article said that not everyone has an inner clock. For most it is innate and we are aware of time marching on. For others, time is not part of their conciseness. I think perhaps I have felt it when I am very engrossed in something and totally block out all else. One time I told U.P. that I would call him right back at work and actually got so into my work that "woke" up 45 min. later and called a very upset and worried husband.

    It's also good to keep telling yourself that you want your daughter to be able to stand up for what she thinks is right. This takes practice and part of the arguing is practice. It's not pleasant but it is a necessary step. I also think that this process helps us to be ready for the day when they do leave home. We are ready!

    Remember too that the part of the brain that controls compulsive behavior is not developed until a human is about 21 yrs. old. Talking back is not a thought out action but a compulsive one. I was in my mid 20s before I could hold my tongue and not talk back. G'ma and I had some doozies when I was in high school. K. just always said OK and then ignored the request. By then we were out of her hair. John would say NO and that would not lead to happy replies. Neither child always did as we requested only K. knew how to play the system. I have some good Rosalie and Peyton stories along these lines.

    And finally, when I felt bad about yelling, etc. U.P. would always say that not to worry because this prepared the kids for their future bad bosses. I never learned how to deal with teasing because it was NEVER done at home. I think I was handicapped in that respect.

    Phew! Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca has said it very well! And yes, teasing was never done in my home while growing up. Daddy had to explain that to Doc one time after he and G'ma were married. But I think a lot of what people call teasing is making fun of a person at a weak point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this sacrifice is going well for you. Out of all of the things I have given up for Lent over the last five years, this one I feel has been the most helpful and offers the most spiritual growth for me. It's also been one of the most difficult. I find myself starting to raise my voice and when I really think about it, I realize that what I am reacting to is the feeling of a loss of control in the house. I'm flustered because I feel like no one is listening and I have no control. But yelling doesn't help me, giving that control over to God is really helping me. My voice raises and I ask God to take control of me and this situation, to guide me in the correct ways to react. That little prayer is enough to snap me into a more patient tone with the kids. I'm loving it. I hope you are too.

    I'm sorry we have been unable to connect on the phone. I have no idea what time in your schedule works for you, so if you ever feel like talking, just call. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with this. I gave up sweets and fast food as an entree to giving up the boiling fury I've been nurturing for the last two years. So angry I couldn't even pray about it. I didn't even want to be not angry anymore. I'm only giving it up now because I don't have the energy to maintain it, and it's subsiding into a dwarf star of bitterness.

    Reading your exchange with your daughter, I so relate to both of you! I remember thinking my mother was out of her ever-loving mind when she told me to watch my attitude. I honestly, genuinely could not figure out what she was talking about. Maybe if you stopped her mid-storm and said, "Honey, these are the things that you are doing that set me off. You're puffing out your chest and flipping your hair while you talk, and you're not showing any humility with your eye contact. What am I doing that's setting you off?" You might have to read between the lines a little to figure out what you're actually doing to actually set her off, but that approach has worked from time to time with Burgundy before, and it would have worked WONDERS with me as a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to let you all know that I so appreciate these thoughtful and insightful comments. I only have a few minutes at the computer this morning, so can't respond, but please know I'll be soaking in your words! (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete