words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, August 8, 2011

being real, Pt. 1

“It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. That’s why it doesn’t happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”
— Margery Williams Bianco (The Velveteen Rabbit)

2 comments:

  1. I love the quote. How are you feeling now? I have been thinking about your last post. After Baba died, mother told me that if she had known how much company was going to bother him, she could have had him moved from a semi-private room to a private room. But she couldn't dwell on that or on the "what ifs." She know she had made what she thought was the right or good decision at the time. So she had to just stop second guessing and just accept and go on from there. I am not sure if I am expressing it very well here. Anyway, I think that is the way with parenting,too. We do the best we can and each new day is a "New Day!" That is true for you, and it is true for me. I can't spend my time wishing we had done this or that, that I had been more patient,loving, that I had listened to all of you more, used different parenting skills (and better). (but I think you turned out pretty good!). Life goes on and I will not dwell on the past. I will rejoice in each new day because the Lord has made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Mom! I am sorry I did not have a chance to respond sooner--it was because I was being a good girl and not spending too much time at my blog. : )

    I don't think you have ever told me that story about Grandma and Baba before--thank you for sharing it.

    And your last two lines really do sum it all up!

    ReplyDelete