words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Antidote for Melancholy #4

I have been making steel cut oats recently instead of quick oats because I have heard they are better for you--and they are certainly better tasting, with a wonderful texture.  But they take FOREVER on the stovetop, at least for me and the quantity I am making.  So I finally tried making them in the crockpot overnight, the weekend my in-laws were here.  Perfect!  At least that time I made them; last night when I tried again they must have cooked too long, so some stuck to the sides of the crock.  So the key appears to be you should not cook them all night long, even on low--the first time they turned out so great I started them cooking in the late evening, and then tested them when I got up to use the restroom at 3 in the morning.  (Not as big a deal in my house as it might be in yours--keep in mind I pass through the kitchen going from the "bedroom" to the bathroom.) They were done, so I just unplugged the crockpot and left them there on the counter.  In the morning, I plugged it back in for an hour, the oats all warmed back up nicely, and they ended up just right.   Last night I was so tired I did not wake up in the night, and so this morning the oats were overcooked at the very sides, but of course still perfectly yummy everywhere else in the pot.  So, I need to tweak this and try adding more water or setting the alarm or something--totally worth the minimal effort to have a warm, yummy, hearty breakfast waiting for me when I get up on Sunday mornings!



Hot steel cut oats.

Chocolate chips (semi-sweet of course).

Milk.



It is impossible not to smile when facing a breakfast like this.




I feel like I have to explain that NORMALLY we would put fruit and/or granola on our oats, like normal people.  But I am trying to use up a bag of chocolate chips and I felt like doing it.  And, seriously, this is really yummy.  Esp. with the morning tea.  Only thing I can think that would make it better would be ripe bananas cut up and mixed in with the melted chocolate chips.  Kinda like a banana boat from Girl Scout campfires. . . mmmmmmmmm.


4 comments:

  1. Whenever I let Gabe cook the oatmeal we end up with chocolate chips in it. :)

    Smiley is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, banana boats!!! What a yummy flashback!

    I have steel cut oats in my cupboard and have never been motivated enough to do anything to make them into a delicious breakfast. What do you add to them in the crockpot and how many hours is 'overnight' for you? I think I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I made these oats in the crockpot again this past weekend, and they turned out fabulous. So here is my "recipe":

    10 cups water
    3 cups steel-cut oats
    pinch of salt

    Put all in the crockput and cook on low through the night. I recommend starting it as late as possible; this last time I mixed it up earlier but did not turn on the crockpot until we went to bed around 11. Then when I woke up at 5 to use the restroom I tested them and they were perfect. I just unplugged the pot and left it there, and in the morning pluggled it back in, stirred it, and let it warm back up.

    I hope you make up those oats! They are so much tastier than the quick kind. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only sleep 6 hours a night so perfect timing! :) I'll make these this weekend - thanks for details on it!!

    ReplyDelete