words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Week of Blogging Day 2: really short story

Two nights ago our new next-door neighbors lost their little dog--Willa had dug a hole under the fence and escaped and was last seen running down our fairly busy road in the early evening when lots of cars were still going back and forth.  I was just coming home from a friends' with the kids and pizza (dollar cheese slices day) and was able to put Sunny in charge of serving dinner while I helped search, first on foot and then with the car, for probably an hour.  I had to stop helping when it was time to get the kids into bed, and once they were, we prayed for Willa's safe return.  Not one minute after I left their bedside the neighbor called me excitedly from over the fence--they had found the dog.  So glad. 

Yesterday morning the neighbor came by with a thank-you gift for my help and concern: a solar-powered rotating prism--a rainbow maker!  So this morning when the morning sunlight was streaming through the bedroom window, I brought it in and hung it for the kids--their response to the myriad of small circling rainbows was so cute.  Ah, pure childish delight. So sweet of the neighbor, and such a perfect gift for our family (not battery powered! small!  fascinatingly educational!). 

But my favorite part was getting to love on the new neighbors in a way that they would feel.

1 comment: