words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

week flying by. . . stuff flying out the door

I am in CRAZY productive mode this week, folks!  It is kinda not good,  because I am riding on a medium level of stress, and have bitten off all my nails again, and am having trouble sleeping at night.  But I'll just focus on the good--such as painting my bathroom!  and sorting through the kids' toys!  and finally getting to work in my garden, which has been neglected since last Fall!  And purging this year's homeschool accumulation!  And going through a whole groccery sack of unopened junk mail! Not bad for two days of work.  Oh, and in there I did feed my children and meet with our homeschool liason, and lead Bible study discussion too. 

I actually don't know where this stress is coming from.  I am very excited about my sister and her girls and my parents coming to visit in a month's time, yes, and am wanting use their visit to get a lot of things done, but that should not be keeping me awake at night.  My in-laws are coming this Friday and staying for 4 days, which might be part of it--possibly a lot of it.  (That's a loooooooong time, people.)  But my MIL and I have emailed this week, and she knows I am in "go" mode and sounded very supportive and glad to let me work while she takes charge of the kids, so it could be a great weekend. 

But I'll just run with it--whatever is going on with me, I'll just choose to focus on the positive, which at this moment means getting a whole heck of a lot done. 

If anyone wants to join me in the purging fun, please do!  I was going to make a separate post about it, since my goal is to get rid of ONE HUNDRED THINGS this week!  But frankly, I don't want to take the time to list the things in a blog post like I have in the past--I'm just getting it all OUT OF HERE.  If I counted all those pieces of paper I handled yesterday individually, ala FlyLady, I am sure I easily met my goal.  But I am being tougher--and that big bag of mail counts as "one."  But still, I would say I am nearing the half-way mark already!  Esp. because I WILL count all the plastic pieces to an old, broken game that I held onto for years, hoping someone on freecycle somewhere could use them. . . I finally threw them in the trash yesterday, and since I was digging them out of the toy baskets individually, I am counting them individually.  This is a big deal for me--the pieces were for a game that was very cool, and could be added to someone else's set. . . but without knowing who to give them to, they are just junk making my house more cluttered.   I tried to give them a second life, but now it's good to let them go.

And it feels GREAT!  That's my goal this week--to just get rid of the broken things hanging over me, the things no one likes or needs, etc.  The cheap leggings worn by two girls which would be fine for #3 except for the small holes, which could be repaired, but that would involve making the time to do it, and not even being sure of the outcome (since I am not a seamstress)--gone to a freecycle bag.  The bazillion free and cheap toys the kids end up bringing home from everywhere from church to birthday parties--gone to a freecycle "treasure box" or my Operation Christmas Child bin under the house (this counts as gone, since it will be when we assemble our boxes in the fall).  All the adorable artwork the girls have done this year--photographed and gone to the trash/recycling.  All the adorable tops friends have passed on to me in the past three years that are cute but ultimately just not my style--gone, to our church clothing drive for needy women in our community.

Let me tell you, people, it's freedom.  FREEDOM I say!

So, anyone out there wish to join in the thrill of release from the stuff that is weighing you down?  Share your personal triumphs this week in the comments!   Or if you get into "go" mode yourself and do something that has been weighing on your psyche for a long time--let us know your victory, and we will celebrate together!

Hope you are all having a great week!

   

7 comments:

  1. There has been some purging around here - I went through the girls closets last week and have 3 bags of clothes for ARC and packed more away for Lauren. We redid Luke's office and got rid of a ton of junk. He got rid of 10 year old expense reports and things like that. A week ago I went through data CD's checked the unlabeled ones and threw out software CDs we no longer needed.

    Yesterday I went through our medicine. This was a hard, hard purge (I am going to blog about it). I still have a bag full of dangerous narcotics that I have to dispose of responsibly. Sadly I also threw away our infant suction bulbs.

    I will pray for a super-productive weekend for you and that the division of duties keeps the peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to do this. In fact, I'm practically itching at the thought of attacking the game collection in the dining room...but it's mid-paint so I can't mess with anything. To tide myself over, I did a complete clean of the hermit crab cage ;-) They are happy and crabby comfortable in their clean, newly designed digs. Once we get school stuffed packed up, I'm good to go on the back room - it's going to be wonderful to say goodbye and it will get me motivated to toss more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like me, only I know where my stress is coming from! Hubby finishing his PhD, baby due at same time, moving six weeks later... Oh, and I have a couple of visits with the in-laws coming up, those are always difficult.

    I've been going through every room of the house getting rid of things like crazy, AND working on sewing projects, AND dreaming of planning out school for next year, AND not sleeping! I'm loving saying "good-bye" to all of the junk. This week the kids and I have been going through our massive Lego collection, the goal is to get it down to one tower of drawers and e-bay the rest. I was so happy that ALL of the kids not only agreed to this proposal, but are enthusiastic about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! We have gotten rid of a few things on freecycle (offering wood stain at the moment). I am sorry that you are feeling stress. Don't get stressed over our visit. Just remember how much we love you. We are praying for you this weekend. It is raining, so Daddy is painting the area at the bottom of the basement stairs. I am doing laundry and sewing for a family with a special needs child. Hugs and kisses to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I really need to purge some areas (our Room of Requirement comes to mind)but already have 2 projects in mind that I want to get done this summer. My garage ceiling is still 1/2 done from last fall; it may be 90 this weekend but I am still getting up on that ladder! And my kitchen desperately needs to have the wallpaper removed and be painted. I plan on tackling the kitchen while the kids are traveling. Of course, both of these plans come with major upheavals. I have to clean out the garage again to make room for the ladders and ceiling mess coming down, and I will have to take everything out of the kitchen (including emptying the cabs) to sand down the wallpaper (long story, but it's not coming off easily) so I think that will naturally be a purging time. My big problem- I feel guilty working on my home projects when there are so many people in my community without homes, which is why I wasn't working on my garage earlier when it was cooler. Since I work full time my only day to volunteer is Saturday, which is also my day to get household chores done. SIGH But then, right now I am focusing my volunteer efforts in an area where an older friend is getting overwhelmed, and she may stop working saturdays, so maybe that will relieve my guilt a little!
    Anyway, like Mom said, don't get stressed about our visit. We're coming to play with your kids and to see you, not your house. Although I do appreciate the bathroom door! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey -- if you just heard a loud cheer coming from the east, it was us. Ligia just called to say she had passed her oral exams! PTL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My computer was broken all week, so I missed this post. I'd love to join you in purging my house. I'll do it next week :)

    Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete