words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Retro beauties






Fascinating collection! 

And, as you can imagine, not necessarily something you want to look at in front of the kids.  (Mommy, why is it always windy when they are taking pictures of those ladies?)

But still, I like the innocence of these images, both the befores and afters.  They are glorifications of the female body, but without stripping the female--of her Selfhood.  Not degrading, but sassy and fun.   

In fact, I want a pic of ME like that.  Don't laugh--it can be done:


This is my cousin Stacia.  At different times these were her facebook profile pics.  Yowza!!!!


That is really her, just cleverly transformed into a retro pin-up.  Yes, she is gorgeous naturally.  Yes, she is naturally curvy, and that really is her hair.  Yes, she is a swing dancer and lives in LA, and clearly knows all kinds of creative retro people.  Still, I know for a fact that is really her looking so, so, so amazingly amazing--which means maybe someday it could be really me

I would pay a large amount of money to some skilled photographer to do this for me.

Um, honey?  Sixteenth anniversary present?  (nudge, wink)

6 comments:

  1. Your cousin is beautiful! If you wouldn't have told me the pics were of her, I would have thought they were vintage. The photographer did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have told you about the show at the catalyst last night. I think you might have liked the costumes! Sin Sisters Burlesque battling against us, Santa Cruz Derby Girls. It was pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and her is a Facebook page for pin up girl clothing :)

    https://www.facebook.com/pinupgirlclothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I forgot you are a roller derby queen, Jenna! I would LOVE to come see a show sometime--I'll check your blog in case you post pics. : ) And that is a great link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scottish Twins, I saw the comment you posted before blogger started having trouble--thanks! just in case they are not able to retrieve the comments. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heres a link to some of the pictures from our fundraiser.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nocklebeast/sets/72157626603519909/?page=2

    Our next home game is sat but it is sold out. Tickets for June are still available. our season ends in Oct. We sell out about a month before each game.

    ReplyDelete