words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ist day of Lent (a day late)

I love Lent.  I have actually been anticipating Lent this year, knowing I sure needed a really Good reason to shake some bad habits that have been creeping upon me this past year, but not quite able to make myself start sooner.  In fact, I was not even able to make myself start on time.  Yesterday, Ash Wednesday, was actually the first day of Lent, but I used it to pray about what I was really supposed to be giving up ('cause as a Christian, if Lent is not about renewing the dialogue of faith between me and God, then something is wrong). . . and to gorge on chocolate, you know, in preparation for giving it up for the next 40 days.  Eh, my imperfections and His grace are what this is all about, so it's ok.  ; ) 

No, really, Lent is a human tradition, not some holy sacrament, and I actually enjoyed starting the official first day indulging in something I was "supposed" to be abstaining from as a way of reminding myself that giving these things up are my choice and the more I enjoy them, the more of a gift they are when I give them over to God.  And I liked starting out "fallen," so there was no urge for self-righteousness, or the legalistic (and self-elevating) pride in deed that would make Lent about me and not about God.  I mean, it is about me, and what God wants to do in me, and me stripping down and saying, "Take whatever pleases you, Lord, and just fill me with You."  But the reason for the giving, the beauty in it, the trust and love and freedom through it--those are all from God, and will ultimately have nothing to do with what I do or do not do for the next 40 days. 

Some of you have been reading my blog for a while, and might remember my Lenten journey of the past few years.  You might then be wondering why I am blogging, since that has been one of the things I have been needing to give up the past 2 years.  Turns out, this year I don't sense that blogging is in any way a heart issue for me--in fact, I have been terrible about blogging since the end of last year, and would really like to get back into it!  So, blogging does not have a hold on me at the moment, nor does blog reading (which is good, since God keeps showing me things through the blogs I am reading, and encouraging me through them, even with what I read today!) so I am not giving those up.  (Yay!)

What am I giving up?  (I.e. what do I think has a negative hold on me--on my spirit, my psyche, my time use?):

--Computer use does not feel like a problem, but sitting down does.  (So hard to retrain the body after months of sickness/inertia). So I am going to limit my time sitting down, and even try to add purposeful aerobic movement into my days.

--Tea is not a problem for me this year, and in fact has not been tasting as good for a couple of months. Hmmmm. So I might choose to abstain just to refresh my taste buds, but it won't be technically given up.  But I am still going to give up my sweets, yes, even my chocolate.  I am finding myself using desserts in place of actual food (which I hope to write more about later), and am definitely turning to chocolate to make me feel good. 

--And actually, I am going to try to eliminate not only sugars (other than fruits) from my daily eating, but also most carbohydrates.  I have not written about this yet (so look for that post for all the whys and details, if you are interested), but about a month ago I decided to try going gluten free in my diet.  That started out pretty well, and I felt like my blood sugar was stabilizing a little better, but after listening to my body and nudges of my brain, I am going a step further and go for a time with as few carbs as possible (without going crazy).  Since I am not excited about this, Lent is the perfect time to make the experiment--I'll have more reason to stick with the experiment, and a definite ending point, when I can evaluate any benefits. 

--Ok, confession time.  I bite my fingernails.  I have since I was a girl.  It's some kind of self-soothing thing, and I tend to do it most when I am reading or watching movies, my two favorite escapes.  Since college I have been able to go for long periods of time with neat, unbitten nails, when I had reason--I had nice nails when I got married, and when I started teaching college courses, and when my first baby was born.  But I also noticed that I would start to bite them at times of stress, and when I was in grad school I bit them off again every semester during finals.  But at least I grew them out again afterwards. 

The same thing has happened time and time again since being a mom out here in CA--only I notice I bite them more when DH and I are having marital stress, or when we have been around his parents.  ; ) I kept things at least sensible for years and years, but over the past year (maybe only 6 months) I have noticed that I am biting them more and more.  To the point of pain.  To the point of having fingers sore for days afterwards that affect my housework, everything.  They are now as short as they were in high school, which says a lot.  I don't bite them to hurt myself, so in that sense I disagree that nail-biting should fall into the same category of self-mutilation as "cutting"--in fact, it rarely hurts while I am biting them, and only later (like when I plunge my hands into the hot dishwater) do I feel the literal sting of remorse.  And if I do feel a sting while I am biting, I immediately stop--pain is not soothing to me!  But a few minutes later I'll find myself doing it again, on a different finger.  Most of the time I start nibbling without even being aware of what I am doing.   I have recognized for at least several months that I need to get this bad habit under control, but have not seemed to be able to stop.

So, no surprises that this seems like an excellent habit to give over to the One who is stronger than me!  This time it is going to be hard to stop, since it has become so ingrained.  I've already caught myself doing it several times today.  But I know this will be a Good thing, and trust completely that God will help me do it.  Looking forward to that!

If you know me In Real Life, please don't ask me how breaking the habit is going.  It is too embarassing.  Just pretend you never read this.  But when Lent is over, I hope I can post a pic of my hands for you all! ; )

--Lastly, not not leastly, oh no--I am going to make myself get out of bed at 7:00 each morning so I have time with God before the kids wake up around 7:30.  (If that seems like sleeping in to you, well, don't leave unkind comments about it--DH and I have not been going to bed at a decent hour for what feels like years, so this is a big deal for me, ok?) It was soooooooo painful this morning, as I inexpliably only got about 5 hours of broken sleep last night.  But, as I said before, that's what makes it a gift to God--that there is some sacrifice involved.  I had to start the day fully confessing to Him that I did not want to do it, but that I love Him more than I love sleep, and I completely trust that He will provide me with all the strength and patience and whatever other good stuff I need to make it through this day with grace.   I mean, I probably need to do this every day, since my failings as a mommy mostly come from trying to do it all on my own power, and with my own agenda in mind--so starting out Lent (one day late) like this was probably a really good thing. 

Anyone who wants to know more about why I do Lent, I added a category for it in the "Labels" section on the sidebar.   And anyone who wants to join me in this 40 day adventure, welcome!  It is seriously one of my favorite times of the year--nothing but positive.  I would love to hear your Lenten stories too!

  

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy I'm not losing you for 40 days!! Woohoo!!

    And 7:00 is not sleeping in. 7:00 should be considered 'middle of the night' in my world so more power to you for getting up early. I'm much happier staying up late to get my quiet time :)

    Not sitting down is an interesting idea. I think that's probably the hardest thing I could imagine doing...

    I haven't picked anything yet. I am way behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, thanks for missing me, not. : )

    I am finding we stay up later than we should partly because our kids are getting older, and staying up later, and I find my body clock wants at least 2 hours of wind-down non-parent time at the end of the day, so if the kids go to bed later. . . sigh.

    DOn't worry about behind if you are going to do Lent this year--just do it! But if you pick the sitting down one too, then you and I might have to look into these:

    http://www.epbot.com/2011/02/my-treadmill-desk.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the Catholic in the family I find it so interesting that you are so into Lent. Technically, the whole point of Mardi Gras is that last indulgence before getting serious about getting mentally "in shape". The last few years I have given up reading fun books at night, and reading my bible instead. But something would always happen to make this difficult (I have trouble sleeping at night and found reading the bible frustrating at 3 am) so instead this year I had decided to get up early and read the bible in the morning instead! (funny coincidence!) Daylight savings time & spring break have thrown me off track a little, because I'm on overtime this week and decided to go in early every morning but had trouble getting up today, but I will rectify that tomorrow. My other decision for lent is to be nicer to someone at work that I find REALLY annoying. Working on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Rebecca! Catholics have some great traditions, and I think there is so much value in the spritual calendar. Hope your morning Bible read goes well! I am surprised, though, that reading the BIble at night did not HELP you get to sleep. Praying and reading the Bible always put me to sleep. I am laughing as I type that, but it is sadly true! It's the sitting down and relaxing and being completely at peace part that does it. . . ; )

    I don't know if you have a special approach to knowing what you will read, but honestly I just pray before opening it, asking God to give me the Word He wants to give me, and then I open up my Bible randomly and read whatever is there. It is always good! (as that verse in Timothy says, "all scripture is God-breathed and is suitable for learning, for training" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the South the practise of opening the Bible randomly is called "Bible cracking" and some people believe God speaks to them directly through that random selection. I must admit, randomly opening the Bible has produced some remarkably fitting answers at times. However, I'm trying to actually read through some books, so I'm working on Isiah now, and my family is working on Esther. The book choices were random, though!
    I meant to tell you that my bad habit I'm trying to break is chewing on my lip. I do it when I'm stressed or concentrating, and yes, I also do it when I'm reading! One way I've discovered to fight this is to wear lipstick. I'm less likely to put my hand to my mouth if it will make a mess! Have you thought about painting your nails to make then less desirable for chewing?

    ReplyDelete