words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If you are in the market for a new bag. . .

I just found out about this site that sells handbags and jewelry hand-made by Haitian women, who can then support their families.



I really like the bag pictured above.  And it is so reasonably priced!

I am all about buying local, and we live in an artsy area that abounds in hand-made goodness.  And if I can't find it locally, I have my beloved etsy for finding goods hand-made in the USA.  But I also believe in supporting the creative efforts of women in countries who do not have a local demand for such endeavors.  Here in the States it is rare that a woman is supporting her family through her handicrafts--usually it is a hobby that turns into a small side industry, extra income that is usually spent on extra things, like vacations and splurges.  In places like Haiti, women might be learning these crafts and hoping to sell them as an alternative to watching their children starve. 

(Really, even in the middle of a recession, we Americans have it so good.)

So if you need a handbag, or a gift for a woman in your life, please keep this site in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh. I love the floral grocery bag! I'll definitely keep it in mind for future gifts.

    ReplyDelete