words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, March 7, 2011

A Belated Dinner for Nydia


Well, the Blessed Table Dinner Challenge is over, but I never made a dinner for Nydia--because she was so cute and did not have specific foods to be used up but instead graciously offered me a whole loaded pantry of good food to select from, and where was the challenge in that?  ; ) But then in her blog, she wrote about wanting to cut down on the take-out their family loves, esp. on the weekends.  Ah, there is something to focus a dinner on!

So Nydia, here is your dinner--so full of amazing flavor (and fat) that your family should love it, even if they prefer hamburgers to spinach.  I hope you try it sometime!  If you do, please let me know!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must tell you that I did not make this up.  This was a recipe given to me years ago by a good friend Rebekah, who I think might have gotten it off of a Five Brothers pasta sauce label.  Duzza matta!  It is so, so, so yummy.  And so, so EASY.

Veggie Lasagna

One 8 oz. container Pesto sauce
2 cups marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
4 C. fresh chopped spinach
2 jars Five Brothers tomato and garlic sauce
4 C. Monterey Jack cheese
4 C. Mozzarella cheese
1 C. freshly grated parmesan cheese
10 lasagna noodles

Cook lasagna noodles. Layer ingredients in the following order:
5 noodles
1 jar tomato sauce
Pesto sauce
artichoke hearts
spinach
2 C. Monterey Jack cheese
2 C. Mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese

[Repeat]

Cover loosely with tinfoil. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove tinfoil. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

Let stand for 10 minutes and serve.

--------------------------

This is begging to be paired with a leafy green salad (try a bag of organic butter lettuce, if you can find it) with a balsalmic dressing, and maybe a fresh fruit salad.  And if you are not scared of so many carbs, crusty garlic bread.  Mmmmm.

5 comments:

  1. P.S. I should have said use any pasta sauce you have on hand. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the lasagne you made at my house, isn't it? It's so yummy, and so easy to make, that I have made it many times since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I did not know that, Rebecca. Thanks for letting me (and Nydia) know. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really really YUMMY! Thank you! and easy enough for me as well. Thank you, I think I will try it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, easy and yummy, the two main things that make a dinner great. : )

    ReplyDelete