words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, March 31, 2009

the day

let's take inventory. . .

--screaming baby who woke up too early from nap and is still tired but does not want to go back to sleep
--toddler throwing up
--homeschooler not focusing and finding all kinds of reasons to not do her work and instead come in and out of the living room to catch glimpses of "Blues Clues" which she has said she is too old for
--being a little sick myself, headachy and body sore
--facing Mt. Washmore in the shower room where the hampers are
--everywhere i look things desperately needing attention. mud stuck to the floor. smeary windows. kitchen counter cluttered with dirty dishes.

but, then again. . .
--sunshine streaming through (brown) windows
--toddler smiling between episodes of hurling
--gentle strains of lisa loeb "catch the moon" playing for sick toddler (thanks, Susan)
--despite having touch of sickness, having energy today and already one load of laundry in the works
--homeschooler being slow and unfocused but sitting with willing attitude practicing times table
--tummy warm and good from leftover Chipotle D brought home last night as a treat for me
--the luxury of sitting and blogging at home with my children when i could be stuck at a 9-5 job
--and wait--did baby go back to sleep as i sat typing?

the redemption of the minute

5 comments:

  1. Hi Blessed!

    Thank you so much for your kind comment and support. As sappy as it may sound, receiving a comment from someone new to the blog that understands my plight...well - it just 'helped'.

    If that makes any sense.

    I'm sorry you also struggle with the dreaded toxic family syndrome. I hated to weigh my blog down with the negativity (I went back and realized it's a rather common theme, considering this has been becoming more than a sporadic happening as of late) and hope to return to my brassy but normally humorous self.

    It's wonderful to meet you =) Now I have to pillage your blog and get to know you a bit better. Hopefully the kiddos will allow me the time to play blog "catch up". I get behind more than I'd care to admit nowadays!

    P.S. Don't worry about the name, it's happens pretty often. My Mom named me Jamie - but the nurse wrote it down as Jaime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it makes perfect sense, Jaime, and I am so glad you stopped by to say hello. At the moment things with my MIL (mother-in-law) are pretty normal, which is so great. By normal, I mean things can be very uncomfortable and unpleasant, with lots of negative things said that normal, polite people might think but never say--but this is a far cry from where our relationship has been in the past, and I am very grateful for that.

    If you do go back and read any of my blog--welcome!--you won't find more than passing reference to the whole TFS (your name for it is sadly perfect) mess, for several reasons. One, I am trying to keep my own outlook positive, so I try to not dwell on the negativity. (This works as long as things are relatively "normal" and we are not spending much time with the family! sounds like you do not have the luxury of either situation at the moment!) So my blog is purposefully upbeat--if you care to, see the posting in Jan called "Blessings" for why.

    Two, my mom reads this blog occassionally, and I learned long ago that I could not just spout off to whomever--but esp. my mom--about my MIL without God nudging me. So I save the TFS rants for only about two good friends (poor, dear things, you know who you are!).

    BUT that said, I am a firm believer in the cathardic nature of writing, and am so glad that you are using your blog to release some of the hurt and anger that would otherwise poison you (and your other, healthy relationships!)

    My offer of a willing, empathetic ear will remain open indefinately! My husband desires I keep my blog "private"--meaning I don't give out personal/identifying info on these pages. So I will give you my email: blesseday@gmail.com. Email me AT ANY TIME and I will call/email/pray--whatever you desire!

    I am SO with you, suffering sister.

    And by the way, just to lighten things up, the same thing happened when we got our dog from the pound. I said her name was to be "Macy" and the woman at the desk wrote down "Macey" and I liked it that way better. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now, having gone back to your blog, Jaime, and seen what YOUR day was like (and your last night) I am feeling much better about my own day! SO sorry for you and the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rosa. We got up to D's parents around 1 am (girls awake the whole way) and so were tired all weekend (girls not having a chance to nap and not going to bed early--I am so glad that they are old enough I don't need to freak about about sleep while we visit family. B is still young enough I care about sleep for her health, but she does not melt down if she is tired like G always did.) but despite D's mom being tired too (she seems to feel compelled to keep working late into the night when we visit and get up early--don't know if this is normal when we are not there) she showed ADMIRABLE restraint and the weekend was overall quite a good one. God was definitely at work!

    ReplyDelete