words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, July 3, 2012

fun with attic diving #2

Me attempting to vamp in my bridesmaid dress from the wedding of my college suitemate Heather.  (It was such an elegant wedding, as you can see!)  By the way, I took pics of me in these dresses there at my parents' house because I was not planning on bringing them home to CA with me.  I just don't have room for everything (isn't that what Grandma's attic is for? ; )  And this dress was tailored to fit my newly married form; it fit like a glove even then, and a little more like a sausage casing now. . . (Heather, if you come by and see this, I realized I don't have ANY pics from your wedding!  If you have any extra, I would love to have one!)


I know, it is kinda a shame that I was modeling these dresses in my no-makeup, hair-not-brushed-cleaning mode, but I took advantage of the one chance I had to get a record of them before we gave them away.  This dress was my Grandma Evah's (my mother's mother) wedding dress, when she married her second husband.  I was in college, Grandma had just reacquainted with a man she knew as a child, who was now a retired veterinary doctor.  We called him "Doc." Grandma  was a widow, he was a widower, they reconnected and then married.  He was a really nice man, and she was a beautiful bride on her wedding day.  I am the only family member who is near Grandma's size (my cousin Katie and I take after her the most, but Katie is a petite little thing, while I am almost exactly Grandma's height).  I felt so tender for that beautiful dress, and it was a really tangible reminder of Grandma, who I miss.  So I could not give it away without one photo record of me in it.

(And by the way, the shoulder pads on that dress were enormous--I felt so silly in them--and yet look at what an elegant structure overall. Neo-Victorian, now that I take a second look, which is of course my favorite!)

3 comments:

  1. Love your pics -- especially in G'ma's wedding dress:) And yes, Doc was a nice man who always asked about all of you girls and your families when I saw him. My father died when you were about 18 months old. So G'ma was alone a long time before she married Doc. His family farm was next to her family farm. He was 7 years older than her, so she had known him all her life. Even though they were married to other people all those years and had only one contact during that time, they had a history together. They had almost 8 years together before they died. And I am glad they lived here in Champaign those last years, so we got to see G'ma more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first dress still looks amazing. And puhlease - sausage casing? Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother, thanks for sharing some details with us all.

    Jessica, I should have said it FELT like I was in a sausage casing--again, could not really breathe, and there was an interesting fold all around the middle where there was not supposed to be one. ; ) But glad to hear it was not noticable in the photo.

    ReplyDelete