words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, November 26, 2010

Stuffing Soup

Ok, for any of you looking at leftovers and really not relishing the thought of eating them one more time in their current state. . . I give you, Stuffing Soup!

The beauty of this soup is that you use almost whatever stuff you have left over from your Thanksgiving meal!  Here is how I made it tonight, with the leftovers we brought home from DH's folks' house:

Stuffing Soup
--in a big pot, saute 1 large onion (any kind will do nicely) in olive oil (I used garlic olive oil)
--chop up and add any leftover crunchy veggies you have, like carrot and celery.  I only had a little red cabbage, so I chopped up that and sauted it, and also opened and chopped one can of water chestnuts, to add a little more crunch.
--when the veggies are to your liking, then add a little bit of water and turn up the heat under the pot.
--at this point I added the leftover gravy I had brought home (real homemade stuff--not sure how a packaged variety would work) and mixed it well with the water so there were no clumps.  Then I added a whole lot of leftover stuffing and turkey bits, which I kinda crumbled in my (clean) hand as I added them to the pot.  I mixed it all up well and added what seemed like a suitable amount of water. 
--add an appropriate amount of bullion (I used 1 heaping tsp "Better Than Bullion") and mix in well
--**key flavor:  add ground cloves and black pepper to taste. (use lots!)
--mix well and warm through.  before serving I snipped a liberal amount of fresh parsley into the pot. 

YUM.

If I wanted to make a creamy version, I would have added milk and leftover corn (or a can of creamed corn!) and leftover green beans too.  But then I would not use cloves, but would instead add dried green herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary. . . really, there are so many ways you can get creative with this idea.  But the beauty of it is using up leftovers in a way that makes them fresh again!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.  I hope to write about our week soon (hmmmm, where have I heard THAT one before?) but my computer time this week is being spent being a seller on eBay!  Hoping to make a little extra Christmas dough this year. . . I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds WONDERFUL! I'll have to try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabe! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a delightful Christmas season here on the bay. : )

    ReplyDelete