words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, November 9, 2010

oh blessed day, Pt. 2

Hello anyone still out there!  Below is what I was writing almost a month ago when life slipped suddenly into All Awry mode, and then refused to be budged.  I can't believe how much time has passed since I was last blogging regularly--the longest I have gone without blogging when it was not Lent!  When I have had the time and brain power to write, I have had absolutely no urge. You wanna know something else scary?  Tea has not been tasting good, for about the same length of time.  Something is definitely strange around here!  I can't get enough chocolate, though, which is good, or I might be worried about the sky falling.  But which is also bad, for all the reasons you can imagine.

So, just in case anyone was wondering, I am find, but life has been crazy, I mean CRAZY, and all kinds of things seem to go wrong everyday. Fortunately not BIG going-wrong things, just the seeming endless parade of minor awrys that  raise the stress level around here and make me feel like a failure.  And in compensation, I retreated interpersonally.  A kind of survival instinct kicking in, I guess. 

But really, ALL IS WELL with us.  Not so well for other people in our lives, so that is all the more reason for me to focus on our blessings, and do my best to strive for full, healthy living, no matter what life throws in my path in any given day.

What I started to write weeks ago is still relevant to my life at the moment, so I'm going to still post it.  But I am giving myself the freedom to not finish it, or even edit it.  Consider it a snapshot of life around here! : )  

I started to write the other day about a day that went all awry--and sadly, it went from a wrecky day to a wrecky week.  To show you what I mean, here is how Tuesday began:

--clearly the day must have started to go askew much sooner, but I did not realize it until about 10:15 this morning, at which time we had to rush out the door for martial arts class, and then:

--we would have been so late to the class that I decided it was not worth going

--but I had an errand I had to run only two blocks away from the building where they take the class. So even though I knew before we left town that we were not going to make it, I still had to drive all the way over (about 15 min. on the highway) which felt like a waste of gas and time.

--only to get a call from a friend whose kids also are in the class, telling me the instructor was way late today (which means we could have gone after all)

--So I went ahead, did my errand, and then drove over to our chuch, which is nearby, because I needed to see if I had left some homeschool books there that I had promised to a friend, who called yesterday saying she was really interested in using them now. I could not find the books, and don't know where they are.

--So I told the girls to go ahead and change out of their martial arts clothes and put on their water play clothes, which we had brought because after class we were to drive to a local State Park to play at a river with other homeschool friends.

--And we realized we had left all the swimsuits, shorts and tshirts at home.

--So we went ahead to the river, and the girls played in the river anyway.

--I hope the dirt comes out of Sunny's white martial arts t-shirt.

[editors note: it didn't]
This list is not all of the things that went wrong today--oh, no, just a taste, from one two-hour chunk of the day.

Oh, and when we were at the river, I realized that this past Saturday was DH's and my 15 year wedding anniversary. I totally forgot. I don't think DH did, looking back. I'll have to write about this later, after I stop kicking myself in the arse.

This day was so frustrating, overall. I really truly thought this would be a good day. But it somehow all quickly spiraled out of control. And maybe the root of it was me. Well, ok, that is pretty clear--even thought I thought I was managing time and children and stuff well, I clearly was not. But what I mean is, I think the root was my own sinful self. I think I have shifted back into another yucky heart place. I yelled at the kids several times, in my meanest voice. I think some of the chaos we are seeing is the result of me being too lazy and procrastinating too much (three periods in 23 days is a grand excuse for sitting too much, let me tell you) in the past couple of weeks. I even realized yesteday that I have the beginning of a PILE starting in my living room!!! I think things have started to slip in all areas of my life, and I am now starting to feel it, which pretty much sums up where I am today.

It makes me think of Paul writing to the Romans, and confessing, "For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. . . . What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" You can almost hear the exasperation and frustration in his voice. This is exactly what I am living today, this feeling that there is nothing inherently good in me, that in my true nature I am a wretched creature who inadvertently crushes what she tries to create, like a paper sculpture in the hands of an enthusiastic three-year-old.

And that, actually, is pretty much a good mental picture. I am but a child in my spirit, who is learning--frustratingly slow, at times--to do and respond with gentleness and care and flawless execution.

So, I guess, like I would a child, I should be a little easier on myself. Certainly there are times--at my most toddlerish--when I have felt so much benevolence and compassion from my heavenly Father. He does not condemn me. In fact, that is exactly the hopeful conclusion of Paul: "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."


Which does not mean I can allow myself to dwell in spiritual toddlerhood--and indeed, too many times recently I have lamented "WHEN am I going to be a grown-up?!"  But basically I need to make sure I am myself heeding all the lessons I am trying to instill in the kids:

--No fussing or bossing
--Speak with love; at the very least, be polite
--Use your words and actions to build up one another, not using them to tear one another down
--Focus
--Have patience
--Accept the consequences you have earned
--Choose wisely

And there are many more--these are just the ones I need to have in my heart at this moment! ; )

My dear readers, those of you who are still stopping by, thanks.  Sometime when it is convenient, please do consider leaving a comment to some post, just to encourage me out of my anti-social funk!

10 comments:

  1. Once again, I am amazed at how similar our lives are...I'm finding the same issues, the same lack of interest, the same awry-ness of life. Only difference is that you did such a good job describing it and I'm just floating in a cesspool of indifference. Hopefully we both find our peace soon.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? But you have been blogging some great stuff--I never would have guessed you were experiencing "a cesspool of indifference." Which is an excellent description right there, and much more succinct than mine.

    (Yes, that's the one thing--I did keep up with most of the blogs I read (like yours) but even only rarely had the ommph to comment. And when I did have the energy to comment, well, by the time I did I was usually out of time to transfer any of that good mental space to my own blog!)

    Thanks for saying hi, Stacy. : ) Yes, I do hope we both find peace soon. (In fact, blog when you do, so I know the magic formula, 'kay?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this bumper sticker today that really said it all, a bumper sticker of all things...

    "Do not believe everything you think"

    As if that wasn't directed at me, oh my how easy it is to let Satan in my thoughts and luir me away from God's truth about me and my own issues.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still reading, and always happy when a new post pops up in my feed :) Awry-ness happening here too, by the way. I particularly loved all your steampunk posts, but the energy to comment (glad it's not just me!) deserted me utterly. There seem to be so many going through a similar phase.

    I, like you, need to be sure I heed the lessons I am trying to help my girls to learn. Doesn't always happen, but the awareness of it is half the battle, I think (ok, maybe a quarter ;-))

    Anyway - thanks for this post. I don't share your beliefs, but there is much that is universal in what you have written here. It's always a pleasure to read your thoughts. I appreciate your candour.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading and smiling and relating and loving and praying, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Comment love! I am feeling it, ladies.

    Oh, great bumper sticker, Jen. That idea stuck in my head all evening, so I must have needed to hear it! (by the way, I know you have boys, but if you ever want to have a park date, please let me know! I would love to hear more about your derby life!)

    Carrie, I was thinking about you a while back--so nice to know you are still around! And I am so sorry to hear the Terrible All Awry has spread across the Atlantic! But I admit it is nice to know i am not the only one suffering!
    And I am glad you can sift through my personal faith musings to find something true for you--I want to be honest in what I believe and feel and am working on, but want anyone to feel welcome here too. : )

    And I am SO glad I have one reader who has enjoyed the steampunk posts! I have more to share! Someday. . .

    Joanne, thank you for that virtual hug. I felt it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, this may be my "foreignness: grass is greener over there" view - but I am so envious of all the beauty & opportunity around you - and even though you may not see your life that way - I am just loving that your girls/boy are able to homeschool, partake in martial arts, play in the river (fully clothed or not), and experience life with YOU - you are an amazing momma Lisa-loo!! i loved the lessons you listed - and am going to talk about them with my girls today. you are inspiring, even when you feel mucky. :) hugs, ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Ali, you are right--whenever we are feeling weighed down in spirit (or overwhelmed, or like failures, etc) the most important thing to do is get our focus UP and OUT. Away from myself and onto what is really important. Thank you for reminding me of my blessings! : )

    Can't wait to see you and your lovely girls when you are back in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are still here =) Good luck with your lessons. I am learning a few of my own these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aubrey! Yes, still here! Thanks for still being here yourself. : )

    And your photography is beautiful--if you ever post more photos, please let me know and I'll come by and admire them. : )

    ReplyDelete