words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fall pics

What kind of good blogger mommy does not post pics of her kids in their Halloween costumes?!


We had recently read "The Secret Garden" together, and so you can imagine I was thrilled when all three girls decided they wanted to be characters from the book.  If you are familiar with it, you may be able to pick them out.  If not, then Sunny went as Dickon Sowerby, the moorland animal charmer; Merry went as Martha, Dickon's older sister and servant at Misselthwaite Manor; and Happy went as the heroine Mary, in her nightclothes (as she is when she first discovers her mysterious invalid cousin, Colin).

Clearly Smiley was not in on it, and went as a skeleton (which was what I happened to have in the hand-me-down clothes)--glow-in-the-dark to boot!

Seriously, I loved the literature theme so much I think I will encourage this as an annual tradition--and might be inspired to dress up myself and DH as characters from the chosen book as well!

(My Mom will recognize some of the pieces in their ensembles. The white "nightgown" and the floral dress and the white caps are all things mom made for me and my sisters when we were little.  The vest G is wearing mom made for me when I was in high school, I think.)

We also got the obligatory "children in appropriately colored clothing amongst fall vegetables" photo:


Too bad all that orange is not flattering on my one winter-toned child, Merry. : )  Still, any pic where all four children are looking at the camera with pleasant expressions is a gem.  I love my kids, and love having new, cute pics of them to show off share with you.

5 comments:

  1. In that fall picture I just want to pick E up and kiss those cheeks. I love his longish red hair. The halloween picture is great! What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics, and it is so good to hear from you. The costumes are great! And yes, I do recognize the things I made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: If you got the skeleton costume from your sister, it is one we bought for one of the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ( I don't even know you name!)

    I read your comment on Fake Plastic Fish, and found you here. I agreed with your remarkds about Non -Buying day. We had the event here in the UK too today. But Helen (my partner), and I had to buy grocery essentials. To have a day where people are encouraged to buy nothing at all a bit too dogmatic.

    Anyway, you have a lovely blog, I'll look forward to reading your writings whenever you find the time to post any. But with such a large family, I caunderstqand you don't have a lot of free time. Your home seems so lovely, and idelic, it's freezing cold here with snow. But, we have a warm and cosy cottage with a log stove, so are warm.

    Love Lobma xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lobma and thank you for visiting and leaving such a sweet comment. You are welcome to stop by anytime. : )

    I hope you and Helen have a lovely holiday season filled with all the warmpth of love and laughter and friendship and family.

    ReplyDelete