words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Monday, February 1, 2010

Blessing of the Week: Friendships IRL

My dear husband is the BIG FOUR OH today!

And his mom just emailed me the cutest photo of the day he was born:

I love photos of our moms when they are so young, so fresh-faced. I can imagine the kinds of hopes and dreams they may have had for their babies--before those cute babies grew up into people, who would bring them happiness but also disappointment, grandbabies but also hurt.

Those of you who know our story can imagine that I am always fascinated by photos of my mother-in-law when she was a young mother, when she was in the same life-phase that I am now. I tend to think if we were mothers at the same time that we would not have naturally gravitated towards each other, that we would not easily have been friends. But knowing what I do now--that she has never experienced the depth of bond between sister-friends, that she resists opening up to others and making herself vulnerable in relationship, that her friend-love well has long been empty--I think I would want to be her friend. To encourage her, and support her. To be what all young moms need--someone who can commisserate and validate, but then lift up and bless. Someone who you can admit your failures (or perceived failures) to and not risk being judged by. Someone who will let you know you are not crazy for your feelings and frustrations as a mother/wife, and maybe even gently bring you back to Truth when you are momentarily mired in self-pity.

A blog I follow had a conversation about female friendships a while back--specifically about women who did not have female friends and wished they did. Some had moved to a new area and did not know anyone, some were newly married and their friendships were in transition. All said the same thing--that it was really hard to meet women, and especially women who you share certain life-views with, who you "fit" with. I was so amazed at the candor of the women who posted their brief stories, admitting their vulnerability and lack of friendships. They all wished they had just one good friend. And they were all grateful for the virtual friendships they were finding online, on blogs and in forums of like-minded people, as these virtual relationships help them feel connected with other women and sustain them until they find friends "IRL."

Me and "best friends" Susan and Mina

Reading their comments, I was also completely humbled. In the area of female friendships, I am truly blessed. I have never lacked for good friends. In high school I had three "best friends," all of whom I am still connected with, even if just by facebook. ; ). In college I lived with various combinations of the same six women, also still connected (fb). This past summer when I went back to visit my parents in IL, two of these women were able to come down from Michigan to see me, and we stayed up until something like 3 in the morning enjoying one another like it was college again.

Me with college "suitemates" Jackie and Dawn this past summer--the morning after (babies don't let you sleep in)

As a young married living in a new state, I had the amazing blessing of one of my "best friends" and her husband moving from VA to our town in CO, and we had the joy of face-to-face friendship again, and the even greater joy of having our first babies 6 months apart. As a young mom, I had an amazing circle of women to share the mommy adventure with, all of whom were in the same phase of life and who supported each other with child swaps and park dates and new-baby-casseroles--my first "village." And I had an amazing, slightly older wise and Godly woman as a friend and mentor. My life was brimming with life-giving female relationships.

When we had to leave Colorado and move to California, I was of course truly sad to be leaving all of this behind. I was not worried about losing those friendships--those that were strong would survive the distance, those that were not would become fond memories. God brings people in and out of our lives in seasons; we should embrace the season and all its goodness, but not expect more of it than was intended, or try to hold onto it past its time. So when we had to move, I was mourning the anticipated loss of my day-to-day interactions with friends, the loss of my village. Even then I knew how rare that all was, how fortunate I was, and I knew I would never have it that good again.

And then, one day before the move, God spoke to me. Seriously, this was one of the times in my life when an idea formed in my mind so specific, so clear, it was as if He had quietly spoken into my ear. And He said that He would give me even better friends out in California than I was leaving behind.

Woah. I could not conceive how this could be true. Esp. how could he replace the "BFF"?! but because the words had been spoken so clearly, I believed them.

I don't have enough time now to go into the details of how he first delived on that promise--that is another amazing story I will save for another post. But I will say now that He is so faithful that He started me on the path to one of the most amazing friendships I have ever known before I had even left Colorado. Before I took one step away from all my female friends, He was already making good on his promise.

Fast forward seven years (WHAT? Wow--it feels like two, three tops!): BFF is even more precious to me, if that is possible, and I cherish the time we ocassionally have together. There are many women there in CO I still call friends, because when I see them, it is like we have never been apart.

The parts of the village I miss most: Susan, Linda and Tonya, when I saw them this past summer.

But God made good on His promise, and has blessed me with more friends IRL--more good friends--than I left behind in Colorado.

Esp. Sara, Becky, Rosa, Cathy--the four clustered on my R and L in this photo, from the baby shower they gave me for Smiley--relationships that are not just life-giving but life support!

In particular, I have been blessed with true sister-friends, amazing women of spiritual and personal depth, who seek to live lives of creativity and integrity, and bless everyone around them with their being. Women who inspire me to be better than I usually am. Women who are so awesome I never would have expected them to like me, let alone want to be my good friend.

No one can replace BFF in my heart, or take the place of any of the wonderful women I have known as friends over the years. But they are not supposed to--they are meant to just be what they are, an enormous blessing directly from the hand of the God who knows, who cares, who loves and provides.

One time a few years back, when I had been listening to criticism from my MIL too much, letting it infiltrate my thinking and affecting my feelings of self-worth, God used these friendships to teach me a couple of things about myself, and my MIL. I realized, one day when my head was full of lies and I was being really down on myself, thinking what a terrible person I was, that--wait a minute!--if a woman as awesome as Becky likes me, I can't be all these terrible things! She would NOT be my friend if I was truly such an ugly, worthless person! I realized the depth and beauty of my relationships with other women were a sign of my own depth and beauty. That there was much to be valued in me.

And along with this revelation was newfound understanding of how Good God is, and how much He values me--enough to bless me so overwhelmingly with loving female friendship.

And through the same revelation, I realized that my MIL has never experienced this kind of sister-friend love, that exists not because of blood ties or duty or nostalgia for the good times now past but because of an inexplicable bond between women who then recognize and bring out to its fullest the best of each other. And since that realization, I have much more compassion for my MIL. I believe that God has chosen me to be her friend; that He will grow and mature us both in relationship with one another; that one day way in the future, she will look back over the course of our lives and see that I was there for her, not because I had to be, but because I wanted to be.

As a new mother, spent but joyous, her precious baby boy cradled in her arms, my MIL has an innocence and vulnerability to her in that photo above--and yet she still seems guarded. I hope someday she will let down her guard with me, and find me worthy of her trust, her friendship.

In the meantime, I wrote all this partly just because I have been wanting to for a long time (I'm all about celebrating my blessings!) and partly because I want to send some lovin' to these women I have mentioned (you all know who you are! I love you!). And partly in the hopes that this might be an encouragement to women who are currently without friends IRL--don't give up hoping! And partly as a little gift for my husband, my only non-female good friend, ; ) on his birthday--as I will never forsake you, so I will never forsake the relationship with your mom with which God has entrusted me.

**UPDATE: After I posted this, something was nagging me in the back of my brain. . . I could not quite pin down what about this post was somehow. . . wrong. Until just now, doing dishes, it struck me--I make it sound in this post like I am (or want to be) literally God's gift to my MIL. LOL! Those of you who are my friends IRL know that I am by no means the best person to have as a friend. I am forgetful, selfish, neglectful, prone to all kinds of interpersonal failures. Our friendship says WAY more about you (and namely your patience, perseverence, forgiveness!) than it does about me. THAT is why I am truly so thankful for you--I don't deserve any of you. BUT there are obviously good qualities to me too, and those must be what God wants to use for whatever His purposes are with my MIL. My job is just to keep showing up. ; )

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Suburban Prince!! His mother looks amazing in that picture for just having a baby!

    And I'm sure you are an amazing friend. Your IRL friends are very lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been richly blessed. By the way, you are also loved very very much. You have been a real blessing to our family, and I continually thank God for sending you to us. Happy birthday to our dear son-in-law. We love him dearly and are glad that he is part of our family, too. By the way -- has his gift arrived?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell D Happy Birthday for us! I sent him a quick text earlier during work, but then realised he might not do much texting, so please give him a verbal greeting from me. And did you remember the banner?

    Reading your comments about friendship has reminded me of the struggles my girls have gone through in middle/high school. E has been blessed with a tight group of supportive friends- some of whom have been friends for going on 9 years! E says her bff A is the meat of the sandwich, the others are lots of fillings, and E says she herself is the gooey stuff that holds it all together!

    S though has had a rough time, and had her bf turn on her last year. Have you heard of the new term "frenemy"? That fits. There's always one kid picked on, and last year that was S. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though, because E was still in the middle school and she and her friends adopted S for the year- even got special permission from the teachers for S to sit at their table at lunch (no mingling between grades, dont' ya know). I'm so proud of E being able to share her friends with S, and this trial really brought my girls closer together. I guess that old saying is true- no one can beat up on my little sister but me!

    This year is going better; we've been working on our social skills, joining more activites at school to meet more kids, and learning how to move past the hurt. I've noticed S is a stronger christian because of all she has been through, and more caring. Interesting side note- I let her watch "The Lord of the Rings" movies this past summer (which she loved) and the only spot that upset her was when Frodo told Sam to go home. That made her cry. I guess it's not surprising that she is so sensitive to friendships. She has a small group that she hangs out with now, and while she doesn't have a bf at school, she does have one at church who also went through the same sort of thing last year, so they understand each other. But I still think S mourns the loss of her first bf; she didn't want a birthday party this last year because she didn't want to invite her frenemy, and yet she'd never had a party without said frenemy, and she felt it wouldn't be the same.

    It's hard to watch your children learn these lessons so young, but I feel some good can come of it. I know several parents who have just pulled their kids out when picked on, which I feel is so wrong because the kids aren't learning anything from it. That doesn't mean I think they should be left to cope on their own. As we told S, there are lots of mean people out there in the world, and you might have to work with some of them one day, so you might as well learn some social skills for dealing with people like that. So yes, last year was rough. But I feel she is a better, stronger person because she came through it, and really that's one of my main jobs as a parent- to get them ready to face the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine you to be a great friend. I only have a hand full of good friends. My high school friendships were the closest, but we have grown apart, mostly because I am a SAHM, We still call one another but our priorities are much different, and so we have a hard time fitting one another into our schedules. I have made new friends that are also SAHMs, but they are not as close, I see them more often because we take the kids places together, but I can see how they will only be friends for a season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scottish Twins, my husband is an unreformed lurker, so I'll say thanks for the well-wishes for him. ; ) And looking again at the pic, I think it might not be from the day he was born, but from a couple days after. You see, his dad was in Air Force training at the time, and was on base a few hours away, so MIL had her firstborn without him there. So this pic may have been taken by FIL when he got leave to visit, in which case MIL would have made sure to look nice for him. : ) But I agree--she looks amazing. And soooooo young. (she was--early 20's)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, thanks for the sweet words! (((hug!)))

    Rebecca, thanks for the so thoughtfully and thoroughly expressed comment--SO much good stuff in there for me to be thinking about as my own girls get older. Both E and S are lovely girls, so I am sorry to hear that S has had such friend troubles. The good news is that the things they experience now will be fodder for thinking and might help them be more compassionate towards others someday. I HAD noticed, by the way, the photo you put in the calendar of E and all her friends standing on a brick balcony--I thought at school?--with S in the pic too, smiling away. THis makes me think it is a photo demonstrating the generous friendship E and her friends have extended to S? If so, I like it more than ever. : )

    Oh, and what you said about LOTR--the moment that made her cry--Oh, how precious! The movie cannot bring my emotions up the way the books can, and the part that always makes me cry is when Frodo and Sam are on the side of Mt. Doom and destruction is raining down on them, and Frodo says something like, "I am glad you are here with me, here at the end of all things." Sheesh--I am welling up just typing those words! But a more beautiful portrait of agape friendship I cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Zerohouse,"--please tell me what I should call you here!--you are probably right that some of the friends you are making are just for a season. But you never know! Some women who I was fairly indifferent about at first later became very good friends to me. And there is one famous friend--one of those still in CO--who rubbed me completely wrong, so much so that if you had asked me "which of the women you know will end up being your most devout friend"? I would have guessed anyone but her. And yet, over the years that we were in the same "village"--YEARS--as I grew to know and appreciate her, and to see how she really did care for others, even if she was sometimes a little too abrupt or outspoken, she became someone I valued as a friend. She has proved herself a faithful friend many times over, and I hope I know her forever. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. The picture of the group of girls (May page) was taken in front of the high school after E's 8th grade transition ceremony (as in mass celebrating the transition from middle school to high school) and yes, those girls are E's friends, minus 1 girl who moved to another school. The girl with light brown hair standing to the right of E is A, who E has been friends with since kindegarten and whom I love dearly. A is quiet, a little shy, extremely bright, and very kind. A's younger sister is at the end opposite of S. We do a lot with them since our families are transplants (well, except for my husband) and none of us have family in town. There have been times in the past when various parents were out of town, that the remaining parents would pass our kids back and forth like batons! (As in, I'll stay home this morning with the kids while you go to work, then I'll work this afternoon while you stay home with the kids.) Hmm, actually these are more definitions of good friends- very fitting for this blog! You know how E is my homebody, and would get homesick at overnight parties? For years A's house was the one place E could spend the night and be fine. The idea of decorating the pillowcases, like we did at Thanksgiving, came from A's mom. Lots of good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can call me Nydia, which is my name. I just get the creeps (sometimes) when I realize how much info I am giving away on my blog. I don't want to make it too easy for some wierdo to stalk me. Yep, a little paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not paranoid at all! That is why even though I post pics of my family, I don't say our real names here. While zerohousepaymentsforever is a really catchy blog name, it is not nearly as pretty as Nydia. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am lucky to be called friend by you, Blessed. That is what I really want you to understand. You don't need a friend who you think is wonderful to "like you" to affirm yourself. You know why she "likes you"? It is because you are a good friend to her! You are a good person and I really hope you can come to realize that without needing the approval of those who you value. We are all your friends because you are YOU and what you are is loving and caring and fun and deeply compassionate! Those of us who know you best adore you, not DESPITE knowing all your faults and BECAUSE they are a part of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second that, Susan! I think you should change your name to Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, Rosa. . .

    THAT is what I am TALKING about.

    Pure unconditional love, completely undeserved, gratefully received!

    And one of my favorite moments of this entire past year was when I had the two of you together with me in the Abbey.

    Susan, you know me better than anyone probably. Possibly even my husband, since he IS a guy and just CAN'T understand some of my feminine foibles. I don't think I *seek* affirmation from others as much as I have in the past--but boy, I sure notice and appreciate it when it comes my way. And your words here are just about the most loving thing anyone has ever said to me.

    (wiping tears)

    And I sure hope no one thinks I wrote this post as a means of begging for such loving, positive attention! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my dashboard is messed up. I haven't been getting updates for numerous people :(

    Anyway - yay! Happy (late) b-day to your dh and I *love* seeing pictures of you :D It's always nice to put a face with a...blog. I mean, I practically feel like we "know" each other :)

    That photo of your hubby's mom...it just made me realize that one day I'll look like my gramma and my grandkids will be totally "mind blown" that I used to be young, haha! Geez...time flies soooo fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A.M, I agree about the photos on blogs--I LOVED the pic you posted with you and ds while you modeled your new super dress. ; ) You are adorable! (the dress is not bad either)

    And yes, we will be our grandmas sooner than we think. (some of us, ahem, sooner than others)

    ReplyDelete