words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Thursday, November 10, 2011

Steampunk-esque winter boots

Today I received the most delightful email from MIL, which she had sent to both me and DH's sister, who's birthday is this month, the day before mine:
Anyone need me to buy them some waterproff leather boots for winter?  They are lace up Keens...  
http://www.zappos.com/keen-clara-high-boot-cameo?channel=41&si1514481=&mr:referralID=0c424f51-0b6c-11e1-931b-001b2166c2c0
(Or you can chose your own style... or something else)You both have birthdays coming up - so chose your present  :)
Is that not totally sweet?  Best of all, I have been wanting to get a new pair of boots for YEARS now, since the only pair I own are ugly and I even thought so when I bought them about 14 years ago, but I was a grad student in Denver, CO and desperately needed a pair of boots I could slog through the snow in but then look respectable teaching my college writing courses in. . . I couldn't find a pair I liked, so I just got a pair that were ugly but met the need.  But I'm tired of wearing those ugly boots, and think by now I've gotten my money's worth for them, and can justify a new pair.  So, I've kept my eye out. . . knowing roughly what I like, but never seeing a pair I liked that I could afford. 

Ideally I would want a pair of boots that are waterproof, or at least highly water resistant--we don't get snow here in the winter, but we do get lots of rain, and I would want the boots to be flexible for when we do visit cold, snowy climates.  But I would also want them to be attractive, since in the winter I like to wear boots with skirts to church.  And if I had my druthers, they would be a wee bit Steampunk, just because.   

MIL's email this morning got me looking around there at Zappos, and I was THRILLED to find that what I posted before about shopping with Becky and realizing that neo-Victorian/i.e. quasi-Steampunk styles are popular right now, is true in the shoe world as well!  And after only a minute's search, I found THESE:


Just the right heel!  Just the right height!  Full-grain leather and organic canvas!  Totally Steampunk!  Alas, I also proved to myself once again that I have excellent (i.e. expensive) taste, as those beauties run $340.  Sigh.  MIL is feeling generous, but that's just too extravagant for either of us to justify.  Even if they are sooooooo gorgeous and practical too.  Sigh.  Well, I guess they are also a little too steampunky for someone like me who is only planning on having one pair of boots to go with everything. 

Ok, I thought--after running the emotional gambit between ecstasy and pragmatic dejection in a span of two minutes--surely these can't be the only quality steampunkish boots out there.  A few more minutes of searching proved me right:


Also a week bit steampunk and yet still practical.  And a much more reasonable $175.

Oooooh, reliable brand, original design, full-grain leather, waterproof, and would dress up nicely.  Much more modern in feel because of being so streamlined, but the military-feel detail allows them stylistic versatility. $160.


Another good brand and interesting design--but they are most attractive (and most steampunky) in this color, which is not the best suited for my own wardrobe.  $190.


These boots get the award for the most creative design I've come across today--and which I can't decide if I like or loathe.  Even the person who wrote the description for these boots on Zappos was not sure: "This undeniably feminine Betsey Johnson™ boot is a sight to behold."  Why, yes.  And I think a creative Steampunk gal could work these into her ensemble really well.  In fact, I'm not quite sure who else could. . . a modern-day saloon showgirl on her day off?   $180.

     

These boots are well-named, but are still a wee bit steampunk simply because of the leather tones and the buckles.  Oh, yes, steampunks love buckles.  $240. 


These are a little more modern in feel, and less rough/distressed, but I could see these really working with a steampunk outfit.  Straps and buckles, yes please!  $200.


Not that I think these boots will be as well-made as some of the others, but they get kudos for original design--and if there is anything steampunks like more than buckles and straps, it's grommets.  $170.


On the other hand, a simple and lovely pair of neo-Victorian boots is always steampunk.  These are beautiful--probably my favorite of all of these.  And, of course, $398. 


Another attractive, similarly Victorianesque boots.  Unfortunately, still $238. 


The vintage airman look to these would perfectly complement a ladies' steampunk airship ensemble.  $398.


These is just something about these I really like, even though they are so stylistically ecclectic they are not quite one particular genre.  I think with these it's the distressed and neo-punk and color scheme and almost cobbled-together look about them that I could see working really well with steampunk.  But any prospective buyer had better have as much money as flair, because these boots will set her back $428.  (I am neither that daring or that rich--but it's fun to include them here.)


I like how simple these are, and the detail along the side that has a vintage/miliary feel.  $336.


More brass and buckles, with a cool vintage toe design.  $170.


I really like the unusual mix of black straps and brass buckles on the brown boot.  A little too busy for what I need, I think, but definitely a bit steampunk. $180.


Another really creative style, and pretty easily adapted to a variety of looks, including steampunk. $240.

Also really nice vintage toe and lace detail on this one.  $389. 

Ok, that's it for the mid-calf or knee-high leather Steampunk-esque boots on Zappos.  I can tell I will need to look some more before I can take up MIL on her sweet offer, but finding all these has been encouraging.  As you can see, the things that made a boot steampunk are material (leather, canvas), metal detail (brass is most steampunk), color (a rich brown with brass detail is quintessential steampunk), and embellishments like front laces, buckles, straps, and grommets.  I would say the toe should be slightly pointed too.  The type of heel is not as important--what is more important is how the elements of the boot all work together. 

I know I said I would be posting my steampunk stuff over at Minnie Zephie's Steampunk Treasure Trunk, but since these shopping-for-clothes-to-wear-in-real-life posts are things I want to share with YOU all, I hope you don't mind.  I will be editing this post (nobody at the other blog would appreciate the references to my MIL) and putting it over at Minnie Zephie's when I get a chance--esp. since I noticed I how have *five* followers there!  (um, thanks Jessica and Aubrey ; )  I'd better give my steampunk readers some eye-candy every now and then!

But those of you here, please comment away!  Let me know if you like any of these (the reasonably priced ones. ; )






4 comments:

  1. Out of these I really like the Timberland Earthkeepers, Born Sage, Ariat Highland, and Lucchese Annie. They are all so beautiful. I just love a good pair of boots and actually asked for some for Christmas from my MIL. The ones I pointed out to her were a chocolate brown and very similar to the Born Sage.

    But you'd look lovely in any of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I didn't realise how expensive good taste is!;) But how much fun to get to look and decide! I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous because I have such a hard time finding shoes to FIT that I have given up on finding certain styles. Case in point- my only pair of boots are black leather, buckle, high heel biker chic kinda look. Me? No, not really but they were the only boots I found that year that fit. Still, it's fun to play with a tougher image and wear my kick*** boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies! Yes, Rebecca, that's how I feel too--ouch--and why I have lived with my perfectly good but ugly boots for so long! I love thinking about you in some kick*** boots, though. ; ) I actually think you could rock the biker boots really well--I personally am very drawn to that style, but am making a conscious decision to aim for less biker and more elegant punk, if I can find such a boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Betsey Johnson boots, particularly the shoelace framed by Victorian frill. They remind me of you. I also like the Jessica Simpson boot, though I would like it more if it came in another color. Blond does not go well with much and shows dirt far too easily.

    ReplyDelete