words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Friday, January 28, 2011

Finally getting myself some warm neckware!

Ok, you know how I blogged before about adorable, stylish and WARM things for the neck when I was in Steampunk mode (a series I hope to finish someday!), and almost exactly one year ago I blogged about the desire for a scarf to dress up some new tops--well, after all that looking and admiring, I never did get myself anything for the neck last year. 

I did, however, get myself this pin--it was inexpensive, beautifully tactile, and reminded me of "Love In a Mist," the main flower in my wedding bouquet.  And it makes me happy:

from this etsy seller

Now, I DID get a scarf last year--but I did not buy it!  I had been saving the story to share with you all once I had a good photo of me wearing it, but who knows when that will be.  So, when I made that post a year ago about wanting to get one scarf to brighten and beautify my new shirts, my big sister (and reader) Rebecca graciously offered to make me a scarf!  She is a self-taught knitter, and very talented, and within a couple of months she sent me a beautiful new scarf!  Here is a pic of Sunny and Smiley wearing it--even if you can't see the delicate leaf pattern, you can see the color, length and sheen:


I do love beautiful things.  Seriously love them.  And--I think I may have mentioned this once before--I spent my young adult life working retail, so I KNOW how to accessorize.  ; ) But in my current life stage, and where God has me spiritually, generally it feels wrong to spend money on fashion.  I know our culture tells us to do it, and most of us do--but even if I had lots of disposable income, there are so many other things I would want to spend it on.  I wrote about my fashion philosophy before, so won't go into it all now.  I am overall very content with not being fashion forward and not owning a lot of clothes, shoes or accessories, and can happily "window-shop" on etsy every now and then, without falling into the lust to own.  It helps that I have a miniscule house and actually enjoy getting rid of things more than I enjoy getting them.  And it helps that the women in my life, like Rebecca, and my mom, have excellent taste in accessories and are generous in their gifts.  I usually have just enough pretty things in my life to make getting dressed satisfying.

Until now.

This is the second time this winter that I have had a terrible, lingering sore throat and swollen glands.  A situation which, I read on a medical website, could be helped with some warm neckwear.  Of which I have none.  Rebecca made me that scarf as an accessory, for beauty more than for warmth, and so while I have been wearing it almost nonstop this winter (thank you, sis!!!), I think it is time to get something specifically intended for warming the throat. 

(And sometimes long scarves are not the most practical when mommying; as Smiley informed me the other day when the end of my scarf trailed over his (thankfully clean! but still!) bottom as I changed his diaper, "tickled my penis!" Enough said.)

So I decided yesterday that this is it--time to get myself something that will cover my throat warmly, that I can wear when I get sick.  But that is also attractive, so I will want to wear it when I am not sick.  So I went back to my "favorites" on etsy, and am deciding between these two:

from this etsy shop

One of the beauties of etsy is that you can often custom order, so this seller is willing to make it for me in dark charcoal grey cotton, with a black or dark grey metal vintage button.  Perfect!

OR there is this beauty, which I have featured before:

available from this etsy seller

This looks so warm--and Steampunky!  It's upcycled cashmere with a silk lining, so it should be really warm but comfortable next to the skin, but was still reasonably priced. 

Both neck pieces look comfortable.  The second one looks warmer, but is also a little dressier, so maybe I would not reach for it as much as an accessory.  The first one is beautifully tactile, and might be more practical for wearing more of the year.  Both should cover my throat, which is what matters.  But they are both practical, albeit in different ways, and are both so attractive, how can I choose?

So, you help me!  It has been a long time since I made a poll, but I'm going to do it now.  Please help me decide between the two neck warmers.  And if you want to leave any advice in the comments section, please do!

Thanks readers!  I can't wait to see what you think. : )

9 comments:

  1. I like option #1. It seems like it would go with more (at least in my wardrobe).

    I'm jealous that you can accesorize like that. I just can't visualize it and because I don't often wear a lot of accessories, they feel strange on me when I do wear them. I love how they look on other people, but just am not used to them on me.

    Love the scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are pretty, but I vote for #1. I am guessing the second would need to be dry cleaned. Also the 2nd seems dressy so again I vote for the first. Love the picture of your oldest and youngest with the scarf. The scarf is very pretty, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I posted the above, I remembered that my approval use to be the kiss of death to anything. So, hope my vote isn't "the kiss of death":) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first option! Well, I love the 2nd option too, but you seem to be a more practical type of woman (like myself) and the first one is practical and pretty. I also like the idea of charcoal grey. The second one seems more dressy to me, which translates to less wear-age (for me anyway!). Hope you have fun picking one out and wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention how much I like the pin. Good buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both but I'm voting for #1. The second one reminds me of that Johnny Depp musical (the name is completely escaping me right now!) and while the set and costuming were fab, it's a little too creepy for me. Unless I had the right clothes, I suppose. Which I do not. So #1.

    And now I need to google because that will drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweeney Todd.

    And how did I miss the fact that the main character is also Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter movies?!?! I am so un-observant. And, now that I think about it, the second one would also be a great accessory for Helena Bonham Carter, no matter her role!!! She plays people that are perfect for that neck warmer!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm having trouble commenting today, so I hope you aren't left with several almost duplicates!

    I'm going to vote for the first one too, on the grounds of versatility and practicality. The second is lovely too, but unless you have plenty of opportnities to be dressy (I know I don't, and suspect you don't either), it will get less use.

    One thins you could do is to talk to the etsy seller of the first about yarns. The picture you have here is in acrylic, but for a more warmth, something with some wool content would perform better. I don't know anything about crochet (except that I can't do and don't know why!), so I'm no expert on the suitability of yarns. As a knitter, I'd be tempted to go for something like alpaca, which is incredibly soft and non-scratchy, but very warm too. I just don't know if it works for crochet. The seller seems very open to discussion, thoughl, so it's worth asking her about warm yarns which would work well for that pattern.

    Naturally, I now want one of those myself - particularly in the deeper shades you're going for. It's fab.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should really proof read my comments before posting them. Hope that all made sense!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete