words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Saturday, January 1, 2011

another year, same prayer

Happy New Year, friends, family, and anyone else stopping by!

The post I made for New Years' last year is still one of my favorites, and this past Fall I learned that it is by far the #1 most-visited page on my blog! (869 pageviews to date! Thanks to all the images heisted from the internet. Ahem.) Reading it over today, I feel exactly the same as when I wrote it--everything I said last year is still true for where I stand today. But this does not discourage me--oh no! I may be struggling with some of the same issues, but that is life, no? And I can look back and see so much growth in myself over this past year, so repeating the same hopes for this New Year feels positive, proactive, like re-affirming with God that He is doing a good work in me indeed, and that I will again gladly follow where He will take me in this new year.

May God bless you all richly this year!

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *





I would really like to have made one more Christmas-wrap-up blog post before the New Year, but didn't make it. I also would really like to have brilliantly wrapped up 2009 with retrospective photos and snippets like some bloggers have done. . . but didn't do it. I have finished this year feeling pretty wrung out, emotionally and physically and mentally--but not in a bad, depressed kind of way, but in a "whew, glad that's over--let's regroup and get ready to jump back in!" kind of way.

This past year was one of the hardest overall that I have experienced. Seems like in past years I have had rough moments, or relationships, or heart issues that I had to deal with but could then move forward from; this year the rough just kept coming, with my house/stuff continually frustrating me, my kids working through some yucky phases, our homeschooling seeming to peter out for no reason. . . Life for the past few months has seemed harder than it should be, and less rewarding and less fruitful.


But I am not so sure it has to do with my life circumstances as much as it has to do with me, and my faulty responses to the "hardships" of life. (And I must use quotation marks, because overall I have to admit I have a REALLY EASY life! with GREAT kids! and a SOLID husband! and a little house to manage pretty much AS I SEE FIT. And as I am always reminded of how blessed I am to have all these things--when so many people do not).

The charming work of artist Mary Engelbreit seems to perfectly sum up my feelings about this past year, and my hope for this new year. So here are some of my hopes and goals for this next year, illustrated:


I am the Queen of all I Survey--
may this daily truth bring me contentment with what is and inspiration for what might yet be



With wisdom and patience, may I help my daughters grow into their status and responsibilities as Daughters of the King.

May my home truly be a place of peace and joy and love--a comfort to all who dwell within, a refuge for those who visit. And yet may I be inspired to leave its comforts and seek adventure more often!


May I find joy in my daily labor, and humor in its daily futility.
May schooling my children be fruitful: to their minds, their hearts and their spirits.
May I dwell in this Truth daily.


May I learn to live more fully in the moment, and keep my focus on the positive.

May I be a tool for spreading love and encouragement in the world.
May I continue to be blessed with the love of others.

May I take the best care possible of my own little God-given sphere.

I am looking forward to 2010 2011. How about you?
Happy New Year to one and all!

2 comments:

  1. It is a great post and a great prayer. I hope you have a blessed 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see this last year, so am so glad you posted it again. So many of the quotes spoke to my heart. Thank you! Terry

    ReplyDelete