words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

THIS is what I call Dinner!

Ok, my dear readers, FINALLY I have pulled off a quick meal that represents the way I really want to be feeding my family:

Hmmm. At a loss to find the right word to describe the main dish. More solid than scrambled egg, but not an omelette. . . not light enough to be a souffle, but done on the stove top so not what I would call a casserole. . . Ok, I guess you all can read what I did and then tell me what it was!

Cracked and whisked in a big bowl a whole bunch of eggs (didn't count, but probably around 9?) with some milk, and crumbled into it a last, lingering slice of crusty whole grain bread (one great way to use up that last slice of bread in the bag!) and let sit for a few minutes so the crumbs could soften. Meanwhile, sauted chopped garlic (like 4 cloves--we like garlic) in olive oil. Added egg mixture to garlic in pa, turned down heat, and put a lid on it. Added fresh kale torn in bits, fresh chopped tomato, a sprinkle of dried basil and pepper, mixed it in, and put lid back on. Cooked, stirring occassionally, until cooked through. Turned off heat and sprinkled liberally with crumbled feta.

Served with leftover bean salad and a big mug of smoothie I made in my new blender out of frozen strawberries and peaches and milk.

(Normally with an egg entree I would have served toasted garlic bread, but since the kids and I had toast for breakfast I didn't make it tonight--but DH had some crusty bread with his dinner.)

THIS is how I like to cook! Easy, one-pot meal full of protein and amazing flavor. Used a "super green" in the meal. Whipped up a healthy "dessert" that made the kids excited.

Now, this was not my ideal dinner. No significant raw foods, no homemade bread to accompany it, the tomatoes came in a plastic container, and the strawberries were not organic--and I could not even have any smoothie since I am highly allergic to peaches. My goals are to be ever moving towards better eating that is healthier for our bodies, our budget, our world. So my ideals involve local, organic food, food I make myself from scratch, food that is packaged minimally, sustainably.

But I am all about baby steps, and I am slowly figuring out how to buy foods according to my values/ideals--in the meantime, I am COOKING and THAT is ideal enough for now!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Your food ideals sound very similar to mine - except you are much more amazing at accomplishing them!!!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm-o! I'm stealing this one too! :)

    PS- I LOVE the Mother Teresa quote. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum- sounds good! You've become a really creative cook over the years; is that experience? I'm much more tied to a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete